TVNewser LostRemote AgencySpy PRNewser FishbowlNY FishbowlDC SocialTimes AllTwitter AllFacebook InsideFacebook InsideSocialGames InsideMobileApps

Posts Tagged ‘WGME’

Settlement Reached in Anchor’s Suit Against Sinclair’s Portland Station

raffertyFormer Portland, ME, anchor Doug Rafferty has reached a settlement in the lawsuit he filed in February against CBS affiliate WGME and its parent company Sinclair Broadcasting, according to the Kennebec Journal

Rafferty, who currently serves as a spokesman for the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife, had been with the station for 13 years before suffering a stroke on air in January 2006.

“In 2007, General Manager Terry Cole and News Director Robert Atkinson told Mr. Rafferty that the station was removing him from ‘the chair.’ In other words, the station was removing Mr. Rafferty from his anchor position,” says the seven-page complaint in the lawsuit. “When Mr. Rafferty was replaced as anchor, he was 55 years old. His replacement was in his early 40s.”

The Kennebec Journal reports the settlement was reached “by mutual agreement.” Terms of the settlement were not available. Read more

Mediabistro Course

Multimedia Journalism

Multimedia JournalismStarting September 25, learn how to create interactive packages with photos, audio, and video! Taught by a multiplatform journalist, Darragh Worland will teach you how to come up stories that would be best told in a multimedia format, and create original content for that package using photos, slideshows, and short video and audio pieces. Register now! 
 

Former Anchor Sues WGME for Discrimination

Former news anchor Doug Rafferty is suing the Portland, ME, CBS affiliate WGME and its parent company Sinclair Broadcast Group for disability and age discrimination.

Rafferty had been an anchor at the station for 13 years before suffering a stroke on-air in 2006. According to the Portland Press Herald, Rafferty’s attorneys David Webbert and Matthew Keegan said Rafferty had fully recovered from the stroke by 2007.

In 2007, General Manager Terry Cole and News Director Robert Atkinson told Mr. Rafferty that the station was removing him from ‘the chair.’ In other words, the station was removing Mr. Rafferty from his anchor position,” says the seven-page complaint in the lawsuit. “When Mr. Rafferty was replaced as anchor, he was 55 years old. His replacement was in his early 40s.”

Rafferty stayed on at the station doing some broadcast work and eventually assumed a role behind the scenes. At the time, he told the Maine Sun Journal, “Leaving the anchor desk is hard, but change and excitement are some things I’ve been looking for. The daily grind of turning out half-hour newscasts is not doing it for me.” He also told the Sun-Journal the decision had nothing to do with the stroke he suffered. Read more

Kathy Reynolds Joins WGME as News Director

Kathy Reynolds is joining WGME, the CBS affiliate in Portland, Maine, as news director. Reynolds comes from WEYI in Flint, where she has been the news director since June 2011.

“I’m pretty excited both personally and professionally speaking,” Reynolds told TVSpy. “My husband is the chief photographer at WPTZ in Burlington, Vermont. So this will put me closer to him and the many friends we have in Portland.”

“I have a great team here at WEYI and will miss them dearly,” Reynolds continued. “The goodbyes are hard but the my last day here is March 6.”

Reynolds begins at WGME on March 13.

Man Assaults Reporter Over Racist Obama Sign

A man accused of displaying a racist sign targeting President Obama was arrested this week and charged with assault for an incident involving WGME reporter Steve Roldan.

Roldan was working on a story about the sign, which refers to Obama as the “N” word, for the Portland, ME CBS-affiliate when he came face-to-face with the man allegedly responsible for it. After a brief exchange, the man began grabbing at Roldan’s microphone and shoving him. Read more

Reporter Catherine Parrotta Joins Boston’s WFXT

Catherine Parrotta is joining WFXT, the Fox O&O in Boston, as a general assignment reporter.

For the past five years, Parrotta has been a reporter and weekend anchor at WGME, the CBS-affiliate in Portland, ME. The move is a homecoming for Parrotta, who grew up just outside of Boston in Saugus, MA.

Parrotta replaces Sarah Wroblewski, who was promoted last month to weekend meteorologist. Her first day will be March 12.

WZTV Debuts New Set as Part of HD Makeover

WZTV debuted a new, HD-optimized set this week–the final step in the station’s high definition makeover, which included an updated logo and a new red, white, and blue color scheme.

“Our set is high-tech, hip and really lets our anchors work the room,” WZTV news director Roberta Petterson said.  “Viewers have seen instant benefit now that we have so many ways to showcase a story–all the monitors give us so many options to see clear, beautiful HD video and graphics.”

Additional photos inside… Read more

In Portland, Morning Anchor Erin Ovalle Jumps to Crosstown Rival

In Portland, Maine, anchor Erin Ovalle is jumping from CBS-affiliate WGME to join crosstown rival WMTW, a Hearst-owned ABC-affiliate.

Ovalle joined WGME at the end of 2008 and had been anchoring the station’s morning newscast.  She will hold a similar position with WMTW, co-anchoring “News 8 This Morning” with Shannon Moss.

Although Ovalle has made stops in Traverse City, MI and Pensacola, FL, she began her broadcasting career in the northeast.  She grew in Southern New Hampshire and, while attending Gordon College in Wenham, MA, she interned at WMUR in Manchester, NH.

Ovalle’s WMTW is set for January 12. In making the announcement, the WMTW described Ovalle’s last stop only as “another TV station in Portland.”