• Those in New York have plenty to keep them busy this weekend, as NYCxDESIGN rolls on and ICFF arrives. Whether you’re in Manhattan or Mumbai, Saturday is International Museum Day, an annual initiative of the International Council of Museums to encourage public awareness of the role of museums in the development of society. This year’s theme is “Museums (memory + creativity) = social change,” a nod to ICOM’s partnership with the UNESCO Memory of the World Program. Check out what some North American institutions have planned for International Museum Day here.
• The Association of Art Museum Directors is also seizing the Museum Day momentum. The organization is encouraging its members to offer free admission and special programs on Saturday for Art Museum Day. See if your favorite museum is participating by consulting the AAMD’s latest list.
• All that museumgoing sure works up an appetite. Depatures highlights some extraordinary museum restaurants around the world. Please pass the “whipped casein with strawberry-and-violet ice cream,” a specialty at the Guggenheim Bilbao’s Nerua.
• Where in the world are the best university museums? Consult this new ranking of the 30 Most Amazing University Museums. Created by Best Colleges Online, the international list is based on qualities such as architecture, depth of resources and collections, and activity as a learning and teaching resource for the surrounding community.
- Hot to Cold: Bjarke Ingels Group's 'Architectural Odyssey' Bound for National Building Museum
- At New Cooper Hewitt, a Room of Maira Kalman's Own
- Hello, Aquilops! Paleontologists Discover Wee Dinosaur with Face of Eagle, Heart of Gold
- New Museum Offers Gift That Keeps On Giving: Tattoos by Amanda Wachob