Earlier this year, Twitter celebrated its seventh birthday.
Yep. On March 21st, 2006, Twitter was launched (it opened its doors to the public a few months later) and never looked back. Less than a decade later, hundreds of millions of users send billions of tweets around the world, and Twitter has established itself as an increasingly important platform – and source – for breaking news and information.
This infographic from Wishpond lists 20 amazing Twitter statistics.*
* Some caveats: Twitter has more than 500 million registered profiles, but about half that many active users (as the infographic goes on to say, but just to be clear). Equally, the U.S. has the most active users (not China). The cost of a Promoted Trend varies by country (it’s based on maximum audience size).
- Twitter Average Ad Rates Declined By 18% In Q4 2013, Down 81% Since Q1 2012 [STATS]
- Tweets About The Oscars Were Seen 3.3 Billion Times Worldwide [STATS]
- The 10 Most Popular People On Twitter [STATS]
- The Oscars Gobbles Up The Walking Dead In Top 10 Nielsen Twitter TV Ratings [CHART]