Back in January of this year, Justin Bieber became Twitter’s most-followed user, dethroning long-time champion Lady Gaga, who was the first Twitter user to reach 10, 15, 20, 25 and 30 million followers.
Since then, Bieber has gone from strength-to-strength, and recently became the first person on Twitter to boast more than 40 million followers. Gaga, meanwhile, faces increased competition from Katy Perry for Twitter’s second spot – now less than half a million fans ahead, from more than 1.8 million back in February, Gaga likely will drop down to the third place later this year.
Indeed, if things continue as they are, this could come as quickly as August. There’s previous form here, too – Ashton Kutcher dominated Twitter for some time but fell rapidly from the top once he lost the number one spot to Gaga (Kutcher is now 26th overall on Twitter).
Here’s an updated look at Twitter’s 10 most-popular individuals, with a new entry from Justin Timberlake, and a strong climb to fourth overall by President Barack Obama.
1. Justin Bieber (@justinbieber, 40,302,602 followers)
2. Lady Gaga (@ladygaga, 38,165,922)
3. Katy Perry (@katyperry, 37,725,768)
4. Barack Obama (@barackobama, 32,612,136)
5. Rihanna (@rihanna, 29,969,148)
6. Taylor Swift (@taylorswift13, 29,051,281)
7. Britney Spears (@britneyspears, 27,959,045)
8. Justin Timberlake (@jtimberlake, 21,375,807)
9. Shakira (@shakira, 20,877,068)
10. Ellen Degeneres (@TheEllenShow, 19,875,689)
For a list of the most popular brands on Twitter, see here.
(Source: Twitter Counter.)
- Twitter Average Ad Rates Declined By 18% In Q4 2013, Down 81% Since Q1 2012 [STATS]
- Tweets About The Oscars Were Seen 3.3 Billion Times Worldwide [STATS]
- The 10 Most Popular People On Twitter [STATS]
- The Oscars Gobbles Up The Walking Dead In Top 10 Nielsen Twitter TV Ratings [CHART]