Last night the best and brightest of Hollywood gathered for the 85th Academy Awards, with Argo winning Best Picture, Ang Lee being named Best Director, Daniel Day-Lewis winning Best Actor and Jennifer Lawrence winning Best Actress. Christoph Waltz (Best Support Actor) and Anne Hathaway (Best Support Actress) rounded out the big wins.
And Twitter had its own party, too. All-told, some 8.9 million tweets were sent and received about the Oscars, with 2.1 million written during the red carpet alone.
The top tweet performers of the night included:
- Best Picture award for Argo: 85,300 tweets per minute (TPM)
- Adele performing Skyfall: 82,300 TPM
- Best Actress in a Leading Role for Jennifer Lawrence: 71,600 TPM
- Best Original Song for Adele: 64,000 TPM
- Best Actress in a Supporting Role for Anne Hathaway: 60,400 TPM
Of course, the nominees and winners aside, one of the most closely-watched (and scrutinised) aspects of the Oscars is what the stars are wearing. Sysomos analysed thousands of online conversations taking place across social media to determine the best (and worst) dressed actors and actresses, most socially savvy fashion brands and top red carpet hashtags.
- Can Social Media Help You Find A Job? [INFOGRAPHIC]
- Social Media, Internet, SMS, Apps - Incredible Smartphone Stats, Facts & Figures [INFOGRAPHIC]
- Are You Getting Bored With Social Media? [INFOGRAPHIC]
- Social Media, Your Business And The Law [INFOGRAPHIC]