Have you dabbled in freelance writing, but always dreamed of making it a career? If so, what’s stopping you? Maybe it’s the challenge of writing pitches, or the fear of successfully securing assignments. Or maybe you’re daunted by the idea of submitting invoices and tracking freelance finances?
This course is for those who want to live as a freelancer, but don’t know how to get started. It will cover basic freelancing skills, from coming up with ideas to effectively pitching them — in addition to managing your career. By the end of class, you’ll have the confidence to take the freelance market by storm.
Seats are limited. Register now!
WHEN: 4 sessions, 9/27 – 10/18. Online chats Thursdays, 9-10 pm ET
PRICE: $350 (or $325 for AvantGuild members)
CERTIFICATE: Use this course to earn a certificate in Copy Editing.
Instructor Rebecca Webber spent five years on staff at Glamour magazine, where she reported, wrote, and/or edited everything from front-of-book service pieces to investigative features. She has also worked as a freelance reporter and writer for more than eight years, with articles in Glamour, More, Real Simple, Parade, and Psychology Today. She has a BA from Georgetown University and an MS from Columbia University’s Graduate School of Journalism.
In this class, you will learn:
- How to come up with salable freelance ideas
- How to find the best publication to target your pitch
- How write compelling pitches and communicate with editors
- How to maintain relationships with editors to secure long-term work
- How to track your freelance expenses, ensure timely payments, and submit invoices
By the end of class, you will have:
Two pitch letters and a list of well-crafted, salable story ideas.
The online classroom has several components:
- Lessons: Access weekly lectures.
- Homework: Share your work and receive instructor feedback.
- Discussion: Exchange resources and ask questions via discussion forum.
- Chat: Join a weekly group discussion via instant message. Transcripts are available if you can’t participate.
Seating is limited. Save your spot and register today.