— DIANE CLEHANE
The dreary winter weather (Will it ever end?!) didn’t keep the loyalists away from Michael’s today. There were plenty of fab fashionistas and social swans in the dining room who braved the elements in inappropriate footwear to exchange air kisses and gossip about who knows what. The usual mix of media moguls and mavens were there, too. Here’s hoping the sun and the celebrity A-List returns next week.
Here’s the rundown on today’s crowd:
1. Marie Claire editrix Joanna Coles with actor Richard E. Grant (Gosford Park, Dracula, and the upcoming The Iron Lady starring Meryl Streep) and three stylish looking folks. We were so excited to see Richard up close and personal. (He’s blond now!) We’re dating ourselves a bit here, but he was absolutely the best Bob Cratchit ever a few years back in the TNT version of A Christmas Carol opposite another one of our favorite British actors, Patrick Stewart.
2. Literary agent Esther Newberg, enjoying soup with a handsome fellow whose face we definitely recognized but whose name escapes us.
3. ‘Mayor’ Joe Armstrong and Dorothy Kalins. I stopped by the table to check in with these two longtime friends. Joe couldn’t stop talking about last night’s screening at MoMa of The Restaurateur, the documentary about Danny Meyer by Dorothy’s husband Roger Sherman. The beloved museum, incidentally, is home to one of our favorite Meyer restaurants, The Modern. The screening was followed by a Q&A with Meyer and was a foodie’s delight, we hear. Speaking of food, Heart of the Artichoke and Other Kitchen Journeys written by David Tanis, chef at Berkeley’s Chez Panisse, and edited by Dorothy was among the nominees for the 2011 James Beard Awards announced yesterday. Congrats!
4. Mrs. Army Archerd and pals.
11. Radical Media’s Bob Friedman
16. Publicity princess Lori Rhodes
17. Sarah Simms
18. UBS’ Aryeh Bourkoff
20. Agent Fredrica Friedman
21. WaterTower Group’s Michael Kassan
25. The Wall Street Journal‘s David Sanford
26. Chanel’s head honcho John Galantic and a glamazon all dressed in black.
Please send comments and corrections to DianeClehane AT mediabistro Dot com and lunch at mediabistro DOT com.
- Richard Johnson, Diane Clehane Compare Michael's Lunch Notes
- Elizabeth Vargas, Harold Ford and the Latest on The Matrix Awards
- Woody Johnson, Jared Kushner and a Haute New Hollywood Handbag Designer
- A Conversation with Robert De Niro's Film Archivist | New Dish on Gone With The Wind