What books scared you as a kid?
Video blogger Vsauce created a great video called “Why Are Things Creepy?,” exploring the nuances and science of scariness (video embedded above). Along the way, he cites the great Stephen King and shares a few scary books.
Below, I collected free samples of books that scared me as a kid. Add your suggestions in the comments section–we’ll keep building our list.
Books That Scared Us When We Were Kids
1. Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark by Alvin Schwartz
2. The Works of Edgar Allan Poe (read the complete eBook for free)
3. It by Stephen King
4. Fear Street by R.L. Stine
5. Remember Me by Christopher Pike
- Free Samples of the ALA's Shortlist For Andrew Carnegie Medals for Excellence
- Free Samples of the Wellcome Book Prize Nominees
- Free Samples of IndieReader's Best Books of 2013
- Free Samples of The New York Times' Top 10 Books of the Year