Newsday Media Group, Melville, NY - Corporate Center Drive
Summary of Position
Newsday is looking for an investigative reporter skilled at reporting and telling stories in-depth as part of its “quick-strike” team. These stories would be reported and written within one to three months. They would be enterprise stories with investigative elements, including analysis of public databases on government websites, public records from the court system, data from FOIL requests, and working to include data analysis to breaking news stories. The reporter also would be available to produce in-depth stories tied to current events. The candidate should aspire to produce “exclusive” stories that resonate with readers and viewers, are impactful in the community and drive reform.
Essential Duties & Functions
- Demonstrate a record of exploiting public records to produce and execute watchdog and accountability stories.
- Possess excellent writing, reporting and news-gathering skills, including source cultivation. Must be able to turn stories around quickly.
- Work with the investigations team and editor, along with others, to juggle project requirements while also being comfortable assisting with short-term story flow. Experience collaborating with members of a reporting team is required.
- Candidate should be proficient at using spreadsheets and comfortable analyzing datasets, possess attention to detail and be highly organized.
- Exhibit an eye for storytelling across multiple platforms, especially video and social media.
Essential Job Knowledge and Skills
- At least five years’ reporting experience required. Data-reporting skills preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to break news, understand the importance of data-driven reporting and can produce high-profile enterprise stories.
- A self-starter who can bring a creative approach to storytelling.
- Comfortable and proficient using social media, smartphone photo and going on-camera for NewsdayTV.
- Attention to detail required.
- Strong organization and time management skills.
- Ability to prioritize and juggle multiple enterprise stories.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required.
- Ability to travel throughout the Long Island region as related to the assignment being covered.
- Driver’s license in good standing and reliable means of transportation are required.
- The hourly base rate range for this role is $31.89 - $52.32, commensurate with experience.
- This position is represented by the Graphics Communication Conference, PPPWU.
- Employees are generally required to work in the office and/or out in the field a minimum of three (3) days per week.
- Ability to travel throughout Long Island as related to the assignment being covered.
- A driver’s license in good standing and reliable means of transportation are required.
- Ability to work a flexible and varied schedule to include weekends, holidays and extended hours as needed to support business needs.
Newsday Media Group is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants and incumbents are selected, placed, trained, compensated and promoted without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, or disability or other classifications protected by applicable law. In addition, Newsday Media Group provides a reasonable accommodation for applicants/incumbents with disabilities. Please advise Human Resources if you require a reasonable accommodation.
About Newsday Media Group
Newsday Media Group (NMG) is one of the nation’s most dynamic media organizations, serving Long Island and New York City through its portfolio of mobile and digital products, print publications and live events. With 19 Pulitzer Prizes and other esteemed awards for outstanding journalism, our mission and vision is to engage consumers and businesses by connecting them to the communities in which they live, work and play.
NMG properties include the award-winning Newsday, Newsday.com; amNewYork, New York City’s most widely circulated free daily paper along with its mobile app and amNY.com; Newsday Connect, the digital solutions company serving Long Island business owners; and Newsday Local Publishing, one of the Northeast's largest groups of weekly shopper publications.