Boston Magazine, Remote, Work from USA
Work at Boston Magazine
Level: Experienced (Non-Manager)
Metro Corp., the publisher of Boston and Philadelphia magazines, is a regional media company that produces award-winning journalism in print, digital, and social media as well as our area’s best-in-class live and virtual events. From personalities to politics, city life to society, and culture to real estate, our brands spark and influence the most important local conversations of the day. With a dedication to sumptuous design, in-depth storytelling, and indispensable service—including our Weddings and Home magazines—we help our audience develop a deep, personal connection to their hometown and catapult captivating stories and ideas into the spotlight. In addition to our premium content, including our beloved “Best Of” franchises, we also produce our region’s premier experiences, such as our signature Best Of and Taste events. City/Studio is our content and creative shop, connecting businesses with their community and our audience through exceptional custom content.
Boston magazine, one of America’s most honored and respected city magazines, is seeking a Photo Editor to oversee the organization’s photographic content in print and online. The ideal candidate has an outstanding ability to research, edit, and curate visuals on deadline. This person will also be highly detail-oriented, an independent worker, and have excellent photography research skills, communication skills, and a great eye, not to mention a playful sense of humor that translates to finding the perfect photo for every editorial situation. As the photo editor, this person directly oversees all photography and photographic research and selections, works with freelancers and vendors, and collaborates with the Design Director and other colleagues to support the editorial mission. In addition, this candidate should have a passion for Boston—or at least the willingness to learn every nook and cranny of this world-class city. We’re looking for a self-starter who has a dedicated work ethic and believes in our core mission to increase the joy of living in Boston today. This is a chance to work in and cover one of the most exciting towns in America.
- Must have at least 3 years of professional experience at a publication photo department, a stock house, or as a freelance photo researcher.
- Experience conducting photo research as well as experience with metadata, tracking assignments, tracking licensing and price information, and tracking contracts and billing.
- Knowledge of all styles of photography: lifestyle, celebrity, travel, conceptual, food, products, and news.
- Deep knowledge of archival sources, PR, and boutique and larger stock houses; Rolodex of local photographers a plus.
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop
- Ability to collaborate across the edit team with strong interpersonal skills and the ability to maintain professional relationships inside and outside of the workplace.
- Ability to delegate, assign, set objectives, provide feedback, and take corrective action, if necessary.
- Attention to detail, scheduling, and strong organizational skills.
- Ability to self-motivate and work with minimal supervision.
- An admirable work ethic, proven time management skills, and an obsession with producing top-quality work
- Team-playerness (non-negotiable)
- Sense of humor (also non-negotiable)
- Ability to photograph a variety of subjects a plus, but not required
- Implements the direction of the Design Director to create photographic solutions by assigning photo shoots, liaising with photographers about the approach to the assignment, contacting the subjects, and attending photo shoots.
- Researches existing images through stock agencies, individual photographers, social media accounts, public relations agencies, and other sources.
- Responsible for verifying image resolution and sizing images as well as retouching and color correcting images.
- Reviews the quality and content of photographs submitted.
- Uploads hi-resolution images and provides information for captioning.
- Processes and approves invoices by submitting invoices from photographers, stylists, agencies, and location rentals and reviewing to make sure information is accurate.
- Participates in meetings and maintain relationships with vendors involved with photo production.
- Additional duties as assigned
Reports To: Design Director
Evaluated By: Design Director
Our Commitment to Diversity
We believe that different backgrounds and perspectives make us a better company. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Our goal is to have a staff that is representative of the communities we serve. We encourage applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, LGBT individuals and other groups historically underrepresented in the publishing and media industry. We do not discriminate against any applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy status, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetic information.
Metro Corp. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
One of the largest broadband communications and video services providers in the United States