AA World Services, Inc., New York City, NY USA
Work at AA World Services, Inc.
Salary: This salaried, exempt position has a base salary of $70,000. The organization offers robust health benefits such as medical, dental, vision, health reimbursement account, long- and short-term disability, and life insurance. The organization also offers PTO beginning at 15 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and paid company holidays. Additional benefits include a 403b plan with employer contribution, tuition reimbursement program, and salary continuation program, all of which are available after 12 months of employment.
Salary max: $70,000
Level: Experienced (Non-Manager)
We are hiring for 2 roles – one French Translator and one Spanish Translator. The translators must be authorized to work in the US and native speakers in French or Spanish.
The translators are responsible for the translation of materials from English into French/Spanish. This role assists with the planning and coordination of day-to-day activities relating to the French/Spanish translation of all A.A. Conference-approved literature as well as staff resources, service materials, periodicals and other A.A. materials produced by the General Service Office.
Duties / Responsibilities
- Assists the Language Services Manager and Editors in scheduling, communicating, and executing translation priorities.
- Translates materials from English into French/Spanish for use at A.A. events, including website texts, reports, written programs, press releases, Public Service Announcement scripts, activity updates and memos from G.S.O. (General Service Office) service desks and G.S.O. Archives.
- Reviews translated materials for accuracy and consistency according to G.S.O. style sheets and glossaries.
- Collaborates with the Managing Editor and Editorial Process Coordinator to review French/Spanish-language publications including books, pamphlets, catalogs, booklets and guidelines for reprints, revisions and updates.
- Coordinates French/Spanish-language freelance editorial resources, including proofreading, editing, monitoring progress and reviewing submitted work.
- Makes effective use of relevant language technologies and tools.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Required Skills / Abilities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with knowledge of English and French/Spanish language, grammar, spelling, punctuation, usage and culture.
- Extensive knowledge of editing procedures and terminology; working knowledge of current typesetting and publishing practices.
- Ability to handle multiple projects at once.
- Excellent copyediting and proofreading skills in French/Spanish.
- Excellent Spanish-English translation skills.
- Proactive attitude in learning and developing additional skills and knowledge relevant to the job.
- Fluency in English and French/Spanish required.
- Candidate must be a native French/Spanish speaker.
- In-house position (Currently on hybrid schedule).
- Work authorization required – no sponsor.
- Knowledge of AA service structure a plus.
Education / Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in translation and/or language-related fields, or relevant work experience.
- Three to five years' experience working as a professional translator.
A.A.W.S. is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, we will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided with reasonable accommodation. If you require a reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to email@example.com or 212-870-3138.
A.A.W.S. is committed to maintaining a diverse and inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, familial status, sexual orientation, national origin, ability, age, or veteran status.
About AA World Services, Inc.
About Alcoholics Anonymous
Founded in 1935, Alcoholics Anonymous World Services (A.A.W.S) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization and an international fellowship of people who have had a drinking problem. The Alcoholics Anonymous fellowship is nonprofessional, self-supporting, multiracial, apolitical, and available almost everywhere. The General Service Office (GSO) in the Morningside Heights neighborhood of New York City employs approximately 85 team members and serves over 2 million members in the US and Canada.
Our mission at the GSO of Alcoholics Anonymous is to support carrying the message of Alcoholics Anonymous to the still-suffering alcoholic by providing services to A.A. members, groups, and others; publishing and distributing A.A literature, preserving A.A. history, and sharing A.A.’s collective experience. Not only is our team incredibly mission-driven, but also tremendously supportive of each other as both colleagues and individuals.
Want to learn more about AA World Services, Inc.? Visit AA World Services, Inc.'s website.
We produce and distribute content through some of the world’s leading and most valued brands