Staff Writer and Editor
American Academy of Pediatrics, Itasca, IL USA
Dedicated to the health of all children.
Level: Experienced (Non-Manager)
The nation’s leading advocacy organization for children’s healthcare, the American Academy of Pediatrics, seeks a diplomatic individual with superb time management to research, write, and edit news releases, articles, blog posts, newsletters, and other content for various audiences. In addition, participate in development of communications strategy and key messages for various audiences, including parents, members, and the news media.
Qualified candidates will possess the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in education, journalism, public relations, communications, or related discipline or an equivalent combination of relevant education and work experience required.
- At least two years’ related experience writing, and editing required, including in journalistic and persuasive writing styles.
- Experience writing for various audiences, including public and professional audiences required, preferably in the health care field.
- Knowledge of Associated Press writing style essential.
- Ability to read/write in Spanish a plus.
- Excellent verbal/written communication, interpersonal, diplomacy, decision- making, and time management skills required, as well as journalistic and promotional writing styles.
- Must be creative, take initiative, pay close attention to detail, be able to work both independently and as part of a team, manage multiple projects simultaneously under tight deadlines, collaborate effectively with various internal and external constituents, and maintain a positive and cooperative team-oriented work environment with a commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Strong technical acumen essential with proficiency in MS Office and the ability to learn and apply new technologies; experience with virtual meeting platforms (eg, WebEx, Teams) preferred.
- Some evening/weekend work and travel may be required.
Hybrid work environment of 40% of work time in the office per month.
All AAP employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Requests for a medical or religious accommodation in regard to this vaccination can be submitted for consideration upon an offer of employment.
To learn more about the organization, see a full job description, and/or apply for the position, please visit https://www.aap.org/employment.
Why work for the AAP?
- Flexible hours and a focus on work/life balance.
- State-of-the-art building equipped with standing desks, treadmill desks, cycle desks, on-site fitness center, and on-site exercise classes.
- An on-site cafeteria with food costs that are subsidized by AAP.
- Strong focus on mental health and wellness.
- Tuition reimbursement.
- Competitive PTO and sick leave.
- Excellent parental benefits, including adoption assistance.
- A full list of benefits can be found here.
The AAP offers an excellent work environment, competitive salary, and a comprehensive benefits package. As a reaffirmation to our employee-focused culture, since 2005 the AAP has been named one of the 101 Best and Brightest Companies to Work for in the Chicagoland area. Additionally, we are an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Individuals with Disabilities, and Veterans that values the strength diversity brings to our workplace.
Reasonable Accommodation: Individuals with a disability in need of a reasonable accommodation regarding the job application process may call 630-626-6297. Please note, only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will receive a response.
About American Academy of Pediatrics
The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) is a membership organization of 67,000 pediatricians and approximately 475 staff committed to the optimal physical, mental, and social health and well-being for all infants, children, adolescents, and young adults. The AAP promotes pediatrics and advances child health priorities by developing policy, conducting research, building coalitions, raising public awareness, funding community-based projects, and supporting training and professional education for our membership.
Want to learn more about American Academy of Pediatrics? Visit American Academy of Pediatrics's website.
We produce and distribute content through some of the world’s leading and most valued brands