Director of Communications
Beeck Center for Social Impact + Innovation, Washington, DC USA
Work at Beeck Center for Social Impact + Innovation
Salary: The Director of Communications is a full-time, two-year term. The salary band for this position is $110,000-$140,000, commensurate with experience, and includes full benefits.
Salary min: $110,000
Salary max: $140,000
Level: Executive (Director, VP, Department Head)
For more information about this position, including guidance on how to apply, please visit the posting at: https://beeckcenter.georgetown.edu/jobs/director-of-communications/
The Director of Communications will lead the Beeck Center’s overall communications strategy, help the Center with branding and public positioning, support and advance communications for the Center’s projects, and manage and expand the Center’s media relations. We are looking for an experienced professional who is comfortable speaking about how data, design, technology, and policy can be leveraged to improve peoples’ lives, and is comfortable helping the Center respond to emerging issues and handling any rapid response needs. The right candidate will be entrepreneurial, empathetic, strategic, and action-oriented, and will help oversee the use of modern tools to share our research, stories, and impact with a diverse range of audiences.
We need someone who knows how to develop a strategy to spotlight the Beeck Center’s work shaping more equitable public systems while making our projects accessible and easy-to-understand to a wider range of stakeholders, including non-technical and non-governmental stakeholders. The Director of Communications will work closely with the Center’s Storyteller-in-Residence to find creative ways to build the Beeck Center’s brand with stories that matter to everyday people. The Director of Communications will be a trusted communications architect and spokesperson for our organization.
The Director will lead the strategic process to refine and implement our communications plan, working closely with the Executive Director. The ideal candidate:
- Has a strong track record in civic sector marketing and/or communications
- Can translate complex and wonky work into engaging content for various audiences
- Can navigate nuanced or sensitive policy subjects that affect peoples’ lives
- Has a strong track record as a manager and demonstrated ability to collaborate with direct reports
- Has a proven track record helping organizations grow
- Has interest or experience in data, design, and technology
- Can independently drive and execute a strategy
Communications Strategy – 40%
- Lead strategy and development of the Center’s communication practices to a wide range of audiences, who might be brand new to or deeply embedded in public interest technology
- Lead Center’s digital strategy including alignment and processes across digital properties (Beeck website, resource libraries, etc.) and social media channels
- Directly execute or support communications activities such as writing, editing, conducting media outreach, and engaging partners
- Develop systems and processes to ensure communications are integrated and aligned to project teams’ work and outcomes
- Work with PR professionals to pitch media outlets, field inquiries, develop and maintain relationships with reporters
- Work with Storyteller-in-Residence and a junior digital communications position to draft content for digital properties, press releases, media advisories, talking points, and background memos
Marketing Strategy – 40%
- Work with the Executive Director and leadership team to design and develop a marketing strategy to promote Beeck Center and project team work and achieve organizational goals
- Develop and implement an engagement strategy to reach our target audiences, including through audio, video, or other creative formats
- Find out-of-the-box ways to raise the Beeck Center’s profile and empower leaders and fellows to lift up the Center’s work
- Coordinate with partners to ensure the Center maximizes cross-promotion to be successful in publishing research products
- Provide strategic marketing and communications insights and support directly to project teams including supporting funder communications
Brand Alignment – 20%
- Map out the Beeck Center’s brand and define the right audiences to engage with our project work and content
- Provide strategic direction for digital promotion and brand identity support for Beeck Center events and convenings
- Identify and train Beeck Center leadership and fellows for press events and interviews with clear and consistent messaging
- Ensure consistent language and style across all Beeck Center communications and platforms
- Manage contractors to support graphic design, brand identity work, copyediting, and other content development across projects
- Ensure that Beeck Center’s message and brand reflect the innovative, playful, and practical approach we take to our work
- Bachelor’s degree, and 8 or more years of experience including 3 years of supervisory experience, or equivalent relevant work experience; e.g., each year of work experience may be substituted for each year of education required
- Experience in a management position in a nonprofit organization, private sector company, foundation, and/or government agency
- Understanding of the public interest technology, civic technology, or the data for good space, including trends and leading collaborators (ideally with media contacts covering relevant fields)
- Demonstrated leadership and critical eye in delivering effective communications and marketing via social media and other nontraditional platforms
- Confident and quick writing and editorial acumen, adept at both producing and directing the crafting of top-quality content
- Experience initiating creative and innovative communications – tell us about the ideas you’ve brought to your past work!
- Passionate spirit and a commitment to working well with others toward common goals
- Previous experience recruiting, selecting, and managing contractors
- Experience coaching leaders and subject matter experts to serve as compelling spokespeople
About Beeck Center for Social Impact + Innovation
We improve systems that are the foundation for daily life, using data, design, technology, and policy as instruments for equitable societal change.
Our fellows come to the Beeck Center with deep experience across sectors. They have led policy implementation in government, launched new products in the private sector, and advocated for better policies in the social sector. As practitioners themselves, they know what it takes to ensure bad design doesn’t lead to poor results. Often fellows come to the Beeck Center to create resources they wish they would have had in past roles—all with the goal to improve systems we rely on in daily life.
All of our projects are designed to one day live in other arenas, embedded in government, separate organizations, or spun out on their own entities. Our goal from the start is to find out where these projects might land and to help them graduate out of the Beeck Center so their impact can reach as many people as possible.
We value things differently.
Want to learn more about Beeck Center for Social Impact + Innovation? Visit Beeck Center for Social Impact + Innovation's website.
Creative Jobs For You
Associate Director, Communications and Marketing
The University of Chicago Booth School of Business, Chicago, IL USA