Bloomberg News is looking for a creative self-starter to help make our data journalism authoritative, surprising and indispensable. This position will work hand-in-hand with highly skilled reporters across the globe to produce topflight enterprise and investigative reporting. Experience in investigative reporting is preferred; dazzling talent, strategic thinking and a robust work ethic are required.
The successful candidate will:
- Conceive and execute data-driven investigative reporting projects with creative approaches.
- Ferret out datasets and develop methodologies that elevate stories and trigger impact.
- Find innovative ways to gather data from difficult or uncooperative sources.
- Collaborate with a growing, sophisticated team of dataviz journalists to produce sharp graphics and powerful interactive experiences.
- Leverage Bloomberg's vast, exclusive array of financial and economic data to produce stories others cannot.
- Lend targeted firepower to the biggest running stories, such as the massive federal response to Covid-19.
- Help review code and methodology on I-team journalists' data work
- Share data-journalism tips, strategies and knowledge freely with colleagues across Bloomberg News.
Requisite skills include:
- Ability to import and clean large data sets;
- Familiarity with intermediate to high-level statistics;
- Proven proficiency with database managers such as MySQL and/or PostgreSQL and fluency in structured query language (SQL);
- Expertise in statistical packages such as R;
- Programming experience in Python;
- Knowledge of mapping software such as ArcView and/or QGIS.
- Working knowledge of Github, including familiarity with cloning a project, pushing/merging content to an existing repository, and using Git commands the command line.
- Familiarity with the GSuite of applications, including Google Drive, Google Docs, Google Sheets, and Google Golab.
- Ability to write about complex topics clearly.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Bloomberg is an information leader in providing high-quality, real-time and historical data to business and financial professionals worldwide. We have been at the leading edge of the information revolution that has changed the way problems get solved.
Business leaders turn to us for news and analysis they really can’t get anywhere else. With 2,600+ journalists stationed in 150+ bureaus across 73 countries – and backed by Bloomberg technology, analytics and distribution – we have their world covered.
As one of the world’s leading financial news organizations, Bloomberg News produces roughly 5,000 stories a day and has earned more than 800 awards since it was founded in 1990 – including the 2015 Pulitzer Prize for explanatory reporting.
Want to learn more about Bloomberg? Visit Bloomberg's website.
Create the extraordinary.