Assistant Visuals Editor
CALmatters, Sacramento, CA USA
Level: Experienced (Non-Manager)
Do you have an eye for artistic and compelling images? Do you know how to cover news events and bring stories to life through a camera lens? Do you know how to bring together photos, illustrations or visuals to match with California stories about politics, the environment, education or health care? Can you shoot and edit captivating videos to make state policy and elections resonate with Californians? If so, then you may be the next Assistant Visuals Editor at CalMatters.
In our seventh year, CalMatters’ diverse newsroom has become the largest covering California policy and politics. We’re a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization, and we give our coverage at no cost to more than 200 media outlets statewide who feature our reporting, including some of the largest and most influential outlets in the state.
- Editing visuals: Work with CalMatters reporters and editors to identify the best images for their stories from our media library, photo subscription services, media partners and other sources.
- Photography and videography: Help with covering legislative sessions, events and demonstrations; portraiture and topic-related photography and video as determined by the news.
- Image gallery management: Help organize CalMatters’ image gallery so it is easily accessible and searchable.
- Visuals strategy: Ensure consistency and quality of images across the website, including photo caption styles. Work with the product team to implement/improve display of visuals on the website. Coordinate with the engagement team to ensure best photo practices across social media platforms.
- General assignments: Handle requests and assign photographers, videographers and illustrators from our vast network of freelancers across the state. Assist in growing our freelance roster by seeking visual journalists from diverse backgrounds.
- Familiarity with CMS, Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Premiere Pro
- Video shooting and editing skills
- Digital photography and editing skills
- Sharp news judgment, strong understanding of photojournalism ethics and copyright law
- Videography and editing skills
- Highly organized and able to work on simultaneous projects in a deadline driven environment
- Strong leadership and mentoring skills
- At least three years of professional experience
- Motion graphics skills
- Familiarity with other Adobe Creative Cloud products (Illustrator, InDesign and After Effects)
- Licensed drone operator
- Based in/around Sacramento
Compensation and Benefits:
The base salary for this position is $70,000 to $90,000 per year; higher compensation may be available for someone with advanced skills and/or experience.
CalMatters offers a complete benefits package with medical, dental and vision insurance (we cover 90% of the cost for employees and 70% for dependents) from a range of HMO and PPO providers. We’ll match contributions of up to 4% of your salary to our 401(k) program, provide life insurance at no cost, and give you an allowance for personal use of your cell phone and a budget for professional development opportunities like classes and conferences.
We are an expanding and collaborative newsroom, successfully forging a new model for sustainable, intelligent, nonprofit journalism. We’re committed to reflecting the people of the state we serve and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply. If you’re interested, please provide a resume, a cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job, and links to at least six online samples of your work.
CalMatters is a nonprofit, nonpartisan newsroom covering California policy and politics.
Want to learn more about CALmatters? Visit CALmatters's website.
Home of the world’s best books.