Director of Design, Advocacy and Outreach
Center for American Progress, Washington, D.C.
Work at Center for American Progress
Salary: This position has a budgeted salary of $100,000.
Reports to: Senior Director of Digital Creative
Staff reporting to this position: Associate Director of Design, Senior Graphic Designer
Department: Advocacy and Outreach
Position classification: Exempt, full time; Nonunion - Level 7
Minimum compensation: $92,000
American Progress has an immediate opening for a Director of Design to join a growing creative team with the Center for American Progress Action Fund Advocacy Department. This role will be driven by American Progress’ mission “to improve the lives of all Americans through bold, progressive ideas as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country.” The CAP Action creative team’s mission is to develop innovative and compelling visual content that builds the emotional and visual case for progressive policies, values, and candidates.
A strong candidate for this role will work as part of a digital team that creates infographics, digital ads, websites, email newsletters, and videos. The Director of Design’s responsibilities include designing and curating content for social media channels and designing email newsletters and microsites as needed.
The ideal candidate should be able to read and translate complicated data and information into easy-to-interpret visual representations with little or no direction. The Director of Design will also provide mentorship and guidance to junior staff and peers and be responsible for helping track their team’s products from start to finish.
- Project manage and execute design projects for social media that advance CAP Action’s strategic goals.
- Brainstorm, pitch, and execute ideas for graphic content for our Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter channels.
- Optimize and version out CAP Action graphics for Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to maximize key performance indicators, including shares, click-throughs, and email acquisition.
- Manage and mentor a growing team of designers.
- Work with CAP Action’s leadership team and American Progress’ policy teams to advance advocacy goals by using design to translate complex ideas into digestible, shareable messages.
- Work with the Senior Director of Digital Creative to create and develop content for CAP Action social channels and core advocacy campaigns.
- Leverage insights from the Social Media team to improve design strategy and positioning for each channel.
- Create charts, graphs, and infographics from data, working with policy teams.
- Develop graphics for web and video on an as-needed basis.
- Work with American Progress’ web development team to design microsites from start to finish.
- Work with the Senior Director of Digital Creative and policy teams to create short scripts for products that advance CAP Action’s messaging.
- Project management and tracking duties as assigned.
- Stay up-to-date on the latest trends and best practices in social media design.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of experience and education in graphic design or a related major, and at least seven years of professional design experience in social media.
- High-level proficiency with Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop in a Mac OS X environment, as well as with the Microsoft Office suite.
- A strong portfolio of design work for social media and/or a portfolio website.
- A strong desire to take on a management and leadership role for graphic designers as the team grows.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- A positive team player with a passion for progressive change.
- The ability to conceptually and creatively visualize news content.
- A solid understanding of progressive values and policies and how they intersect with the news.
- Sound editorial and ethical judgment.
- Familiarity with HTML and CSS preferred.
- Highly creative, with a commitment to innovation and experimentation.
- A positive team player with a passion for progressive change.
- Collaborative and open to developing new skills as needed.
American Progress offers full and competitive benefits packages. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is not represented by a union and has a budgeted salary of $100,000.
Please see details of American Progress’ hybrid work policy on our Jobs landing page. We will continue to monitor the current health emergency and adjust plans as needed in the future. Any changes to our current policy will be communicated at the time of hire.
About Center for American Progress
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.
Want to learn more about Center for American Progress? Visit Center for American Progress's website.
Create the extraordinary.