Associate Director of Media Relations
Center for American Progress, Washington, DC USA
Work at Center for American Progress
Salary: Minimum compensation: $77,000
Reports to: Vice President, Communications
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Exempt, full time; Nonunion - Level 6
Minimum compensation: $77,000
American Progress has an immediate opening for two Associate Directors of Media Relations. The Associate Directors will work as senior members of the Communications department and collaborate closely with policy staff to develop and implement communications and press rollout plans for American Progress products and initiatives, as well as work with other members of the Communications department to create content as needed.
The Associate Directors’ portfolios of work will support American Progress’ mission “to improve the lives of all Americans, through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country.” They will be part of a dynamic department that supports work across American Progress’ five crosscutting priorities:
- Strengthening health and ending the pandemic
- Building an economy for all
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Restoring social trust in democracy
- Develop and implement a communications plan for American Progress’ policy work.
- Work with policy staff to develop specific press plans for American Progress’ work.
- Develop and implement reporter outreach strategy.
- Develop strategies to place American Progress’ work in state and local news outlets.
- Pitch reporters on covering American Progress initiatives.
- Work with the Digital Strategy team to develop social media strategies that will extend American Progress’ work to audiences through channels outside of traditional media.
- Create content for American Progress’ digital properties, including its websites and social media.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- A minimum of five years of experience in media and/or communications. On the record spokesperson experience strongly preferred.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well on a team.
- Ability to multitask and to work well under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Entrepreneurial; strong problem-solving and creative thinking skills.
- Working knowledge of American Progress’ policy issue areas.
- Strong political instincts.
- Experience working in a nonprofit or local, state, and federal government is a plus.
- Ability to build, motivate, and work within a team to accomplish project goals.
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel is a plus.
- Commitment to the organization’s mission and goals.
American Progress offers a full and competitive benefits package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is not represented by a union and has a minimum salary of $77,000.
We will continue to monitor COVID-19 and the levels of community spread and adjust plans as needed for in-office work. Any changes to our current hybrid work policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.
About Center for American Progress
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.
Want to learn more about Center for American Progress? Visit Center for American Progress's website.
Create the extraordinary.