Strategic Communication Associate, Advocacy
Consumer Reports, Washington, DC USA
Work at Consumer Reports
For over 85 years, Consumer Reports has worked to create a more fair and just marketplace through our investigative journalism, product testing, and advocacy for policies that keep products and services safe, fairly priced, and reliable. Today's products are safer, and consumers can shop smarter, thanks to the work we do every day at Consumer Reports.
In just the past decade, we helped to protect infants from arsenic in cereal, end hidden cable TV fees, and championed the creation of a new financial watchdog for consumers. We got millions of dangerous infant sleepers pulled off the market, and we're working for strong standards for new cars and trucks, so we can save money with better mileage, while reducing climate pollution.
As Strategic Communications Associate, you’ll be part of a dynamic team that develops and executes compelling communications plans that expose marketplace failures, engage consumers in our campaigns, and drive policymakers and companies to adopt needed reforms.
What you will do
- Work with the Associate Director and other members of the Strategic Communications team to carry out daily communications assignments, working across CR’s social impact areas.
- Develop communications materials, including press statements, talking points and social media content.
- Compile and circulate reports that inform Social Impact teams of breaking news, emerging business trends, policy changes and other external factors related to CR's areas of focus.
- Handle general support functions for the Strategic Communications team such as research, developing presentations and other documents, updating media lists, coordinating mailings, event planning and execution.
You’re interested in doing work that matters and
- You have a Bachelor’s degree plus a minimum of 3 years of experience performing communications tasks, preferably in a mission and/or content driven organization.
- You possess strong writing and organizational skills and are able to turn ideas into materials quickly and accurately
- You are curious and eager to research, study and keep abreast of the issues that matter to CR
- You have the ability to consider and synthesize many points of view with a commitment to evidence-based and data driven decision making.
Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging at Consumer Reports
At CR, we believe our continued ability to understand and advance the interests of all American consumers is possible only if our staff fully reflects the full cultural, racial and ethnic diversity of those consumers.
Consumer Reports is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, national origin, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or parental status, disability, veteran status, or other class protected by applicable law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
About Consumer Reports
We are an independent, nonprofit organization that works side by side with consumers to create a fairer, safer, and healthier world. We do it by fighting to put consumers’ needs first in the marketplace and by empowering them with the trusted knowledge they depend on to make better, more informed choices.
Our objective is simple: for all employees to feel supported so that they’re set up for success.
Want to learn more about Consumer Reports? Visit Consumer Reports's website.
Create the extraordinary.