Data Journalist (Limited Duration)
Consumer Reports, Yonkers, NY
Work at Consumer Reports
Data is the basis for virtually all the work that CR does. As a part of that effort, we conduct numerous nationally representative consumer surveys annually, on topics that are important to the safety and security of today’s consumer, such as student debt, auto emissions, and data privacy.
This feedback directly from consumers, combined with technical data from government, academia and industry is how we find the connecting threads underneath the numbers. It’s what makes our work so impactful and allows us to create the interesting, nuanced stories that clearly illustrate the challenges and opportunities for consumers navigating a complex marketplace.
We’re looking for a data journalist interested in helping us do a deep dive into our existing data and the ongoing survey and research work so we can develop a strategy to capture compelling stories on consumers’ interests, concerns, and ambitions and establish CR as a credible, trusted, data-driven, scientific, research brand beyond testing.
*This is a Limited Duration position, expected to last 6 months.*
What you will do
- Read the numbers to weave a story that could work for both CR’s platforms and external ones, such as other media organizations
- Contribute timely and relevant questions for our new surveys
- Identify trends among consumers and the marketplace
- Help build a framework to create a platform to showcase CR data
- You have an interest in telling stories with data both with language and visualization.
- You have excellent collaboration and communication skills in order to work across divisions at CR.
- You are comfortable with numbers and are enthusiastic around working with data sets.
- You can read outputs, such as straight tabs, and stat outputs from SAS and other statistical software, and be able to read regression analyses and other statistical outputs.
- Nice to have: Experience in creating or designing online searchable databases with multiple inputs, including geography, demographics, etc.
Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging at Consumer Reports
At CR, we believe our continued ability to understand and advance the interests of all American consumers is possible only if our staff fully reflects the full cultural, racial and ethnic diversity of those consumers.
Consumer Reports is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, national origin, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or parental status, disability, veteran status, or other class protected by applicable law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
About Consumer Reports
We are an independent, nonprofit organization that works side by side with consumers to create a fairer, safer, and healthier world. We do it by fighting to put consumers’ needs first in the marketplace and by empowering them with the trusted knowledge they depend on to make better, more informed choices.
Our objective is simple: for all employees to feel supported so that they’re set up for success.
Want to learn more about Consumer Reports? Visit Consumer Reports's website.
Create the extraordinary.