Communications Specialist, New and Diverse Audiences
Consumer Reports, Yonkers, NY USA
Work at Consumer Reports
As part of the CR’s Communications team you will help drive awareness of and build affinity for the organization and its expertise by participating in and supporting work to engage new and more diverse audiences, leveraging key editorial and advocacy initiatives, and amplifying CR content, products and expertise. This includes fostering relationships with media, influencers and bloggers to reach new and existing audiences that report on key issues people face today.
What you will do
- Provide media relations support as needed for CR-generated news, product reviews and recommendations, policy positions and/or experts working collaboratively with other members of the communications team, media outlets/channels and influencers.
- Develop and maintain relationships with media and influencers in the tech, home & appliance, auto, personal finance, health, food and product safety space.
- Draft news releases, pitch letters, talking points, broadcast scripts, contact lists and social content; also bylined communications such as op-eds and talking points for executive thought leadership.
- Work with editorial, research and testing and communication team members to align on priorities, messaging and tone.
- Help with planning of media relations campaigns, speaking engagements, thought leadership opportunities.
- Partner with outside public relations firms, as directed.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, journalism or related field.
- A minimum of five to seven years of hands-on communications experience with excellent news judgement and background in public relations.
- Strong contacts with a wide variety of media (including broadcast, radio, traditional and online).
- Exceptionally strong interpersonal, social media, verbal communication, and writing skills plus the ability to translate technical and scientific information into consumer-friendly language.
- Ability to interact effectively with CR reporters, editors, advocates and senior management.
- Strong project management skills.
- Team player who collaborates well with others across highly matrixed organization.
- Communicates clearly and confidently on a consistent basis; persuades and influences others through compelling communications.
- Stays current on external news, trends and issues, utilizing knowledge of competitive landscape, marketplace trends, best practices and technology.
- Shows intellectual curiosity, demonstrating a commitment to continuous learning and actively seeking feedback.
- Spanish/English language oral and written proficiency
About Consumer Reports
We are an independent, nonprofit organization that works side by side with consumers to create a fairer, safer, and healthier world. We do it by fighting to put consumers’ needs first in the marketplace and by empowering them with the trusted knowledge they depend on to make better, more informed choices.
Our objective is simple: for all employees to feel supported so that they’re set up for success.
Want to learn more about Consumer Reports? Visit Consumer Reports's website.
Content is the cornerstone to all we do, and our audience is why we do it.