CoStar is looking for an experienced News Copy Editor to join our growing news team covering the fast-paced commercial real estate industry. Our award-winning, industry-focused news informs subscribers and complements CoStar’s role as the leading source of commercial real estate information and data. Fortune Magazine recently named CoStar Group one of the top 100 fastest-growing companies in the world.
As a Copy Editor, you will sit on CoStar News’ copy desk where you will be responsible for reviewing, editing and fact-checking the extensive news, expert commentary and analysis reported on CoStar.com, ensuring the news reported to our large audience of real estate investors and deal-makers throughout the world is factually accurate, conforms to CoStar's news standards and is ready for publication.
You will help establish and enforce copy and style guidelines across all editorial functions and review CoStar’s news coverage for grammar, spelling, usage and style. You will play a key role crafting and sending subscriber newsletters and news alerts that are engaging, informative and inviting. And from time to time, you may also be called on to draft news briefs that complement our news team’s reporting. In addition to extensive copy-editing, proofreading and fact-checking experience, the ideal candidate will be familiar with the range of commercial real estate property categories, major business roles and industry players to shape news intended for the CoStar audience.
CoStar is expanding its news platform with the addition of several newsroom positions across the globe and additional resources to take its journalism to the next level. This is a great opportunity for an experienced, detail-oriented and highly organized Copy Editor to join CoStar’s news team. Previous editing experience in a newsroom for a daily or weekly publication is essential.
- Play a key role in the news-editing process by correcting grammatical, punctuation and spelling errors. Double-check that names, places and organizations are spelled properly and that facts, dates and statistics are accurate.
- In addition to proofreading news articles for spelling, grammar and punctuation errors, the Copy Editor will review articles for readability, as well as provide feedback and suggestions to the reporter and editor to make the story better.
- Confirm that news stories follow a style and format that meets CoStar News’ editorial policy and guidelines and that the reporter cited appropriate sources or research in news reports.
- Write headlines for news stories, proofread captions for photos and charts in reports and check the source of images and other media included in reports to ensure they conform to appropriate use under any copyright.
- Format and send out subscriber newsletters and news alerts on a regular basis.
- Collaborate with the CoStar’s news team to develop story ideas, diversify coverage and ensure timely delivery and coverage across markets.
- Work with different reporters to offer comments and suggestions to improve stories and strengthen reporters’ abilities.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Three or more years of proven copy-editing experience, preferably for a daily or weekly business publication with extensive experience in a copy-editing or proofreading role.
- Ideal candidates will also be experienced reviewing and copy-editing a variety of news styles and formats, including straightforward hard news, profiles of industry leaders and longer analytic pieces.
- Ferocious attention to detail with an obsession for eliminating spelling, grammar and punctuation errors, improving readability and ensuring that all content is factually correct.
- A basic knowledge of U.S. commercial real estate and business is preferred.
- Results oriented with proven ability to prioritize, drive and achieve results through self and others while working under deadline.
- Excellent headline- and cutline-writing skills, with a command of AP style and standards and a general knowledge of SEO best practices.
- Ability to work within a fast-paced, collaborative environment and manage both up and down the management chain.
- Basic knowledge of HTML and social media.
- College degree in journalism, communications, English or a related discipline preferred.
About CoStar Group
CoStar Group is the leading provider of online real estate marketplaces, information, and analytics in the commercial and residential property markets.
Want to learn more about CoStar Group? Visit CoStar Group's website.
We produce and distribute content through some of the world’s leading and most valued brands