CoStar Group is a leading provider of online real estate marketplaces, information, and analytics, including Apartments.com, Homes.com, LoopNet, STR, and Ten-X. We deliver real-time real estate information and insights at scale, helping the world’s largest lenders, brokers, and owners make smart, informed decisions.
Our CoStar for Lenders product development team is looking for an experienced director to lead a group of talented, problem-solving engineers in the delivery of a new and quickly growing platform that integrates global commercial real estate data, risk modeling, underwriting, and other data, all on a modern tech stack (React, AWS, etc.).
As the Director of Engineering, you will collaborate with the technical managers that report to you, other technical leadership, our Product organization, and other stakeholders to plan, build and ship features that will make CoStar for Lenders a successful, market-leading product. You will also ensure that we have a strong, dynamic team that’s delivering well-architected, performant, scalable software solutions using clear, predictable agile processes.
This role is a great opportunity for an experienced senior manager who is still highly technical and wants to continue to grow in both disciplines.
This position is in our Boston, MA office and has the opportunity for hybrid work with up to two days remote per week, as well as a four-day work week option.
- Lead the Engineering team responsible for building our CoStar for Lenders product
- Mentor and manage 3-5 technical managers with an overall team of 20 and growing
- Oversee the architecture, development, and operation of a high-availability, cloud-based web application and data platform
- Oversee technical processes from design through development, testing, and deployment to ensure that our software development lifecycle is reliable and efficient
- Retain and grow a team of talented, driven, and collaborative engineers that create and ship great products
- Collaborate with stakeholders across the company including Product, DevOps, DBAs, Security, HR, Legal, etc.
- Become an expert on our CoStar products, including Lender and Analytics products
- Communicate regularly with our VP of Engineering and Lender Product leadership on overall progress, risk, and future plans
- Manage Costar for Lender’s SOC 2 controls and processes in collaboration with our Security team and others
- Continually evaluate emerging technologies to identify opportunities, trends and best practices that can be used to strengthen CoStar’s technology platform and development practices
- Partner with other engineering leaders to establish a strong engineering culture with a focus on quality and reliability
- 12+ years of technical industry experience
- 8+ years of experience managing software engineering teams (15+ people, managing managers)
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Mathematics, or adjacent field required
- Experience architecting, building, and operating well architected, high-availability, cloud-based software systems, including full stack product platforms (UIs, APIs, Data, etc.)
- Project leadership on a large, multi-team, multi-discipline software product
- Experience managing and coaching managers and senior engineers
- Strong sense of ownership and a track record of shipping and getting things done
- Attention to detail and an ability to deeply learn complex topics and problems
- Excellent team building, negotiation and consensus building abilities
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
Candidates ideally have experience in one or more of these areas as well:
- AWS platforms and tools including Lambda, DynamoDB, and AuroraDB
- Relational databases such as SQL Server
- Version control using Git or TFS
- Managing complex software projects in TFS or JIRA following Agile methodology
- High proficiency in testing methodology, test documentation procedures and QA Best Practices
- Experience setting up and managing the controls and processes around SOC 2 compliance
- Ownership of a team testing strategy, including functional, automation, and load testing
Overview Of Company
Founded in 1987, CoStar Group is the leading provider of commercial real estate information, analytics, and online marketplaces. Our suite of online services enables clients to analyze, interpret and gain unmatched insight on commercial property values, market conditions and current availability. Behind some of the most well-known brands in the industry, CoStar Group includes CoStar, the largest provider of CRE research and real-time data; LoopNet, the most heavily trafficked mobile and online real estate marketplace; Apartments.com, the premier rental home resource for renters, property managers and owners; STR, the leading provider of performance benchmarking and comparative analytics to the hotel industry; BizBuySell, the largest online marketplace for businesses-for-sales; and Lands of America, the leading operator of online marketplaces for rural real estate.
Headquartered in Washington, DC, CoStar Group maintains offices throughout the U.S. and in Europe, Canada, and Asia with a staff of over 4,300 worldwide.
What's In It For You
Working at CoStar Group means you'll enjoy a culture of collaboration and innovation that attracts the best and brightest across a broad range of disciplines. In addition to generous compensation and performance-based incentives, you'll be supported in both your professional and academic growth with internal training, tuition reimbursement, and an inter-office exchange program.
Our Benefits Package Includes (but Is Not Limited To)
- Comprehensive healthcare coverage: Medical / Vision / Dental / Prescription Drug
- Life, legal, and supplementary insurance
- Commuter and parking benefits
- 401(K) retirement plan with matching contributions
- Employee stock purchase plan
- Paid time off
- Tuition reimbursement
- On-site fitness center and/or reimbursed fitness center membership costs (location dependent), with yoga studio, Pelotons, personal training, group exercise classes, as well as Segways and bikes available for use during the day
- Complimentary gourmet coffee, tea, hot chocolate, prepared foods, fresh fruit, and other healthy snacks
Be part of a team of professionals enjoying the opportunity to learn, do, and grow in a rewarding atmosphere. But don't just take our word for it -- see why our team chose to work at and stay at CoStar Group: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVbJRnJ2sX0
We welcome all qualified candidates who are currently eligible to work full-time in the United States to apply. However, please note that CoStar is not able to provide visa sponsorship for this position.
CoStar Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer; we maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
CoStar Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer; we maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing
About CoStar Group
CoStar Group is the leading provider of online real estate marketplaces, information, and analytics in the commercial and residential property markets.