Advertising Account Executive
Cox Communications, San Diego, CA 92101
Cox Communications is committed to creating meaningful moments of human connection through broadband applications and services.
Primary Location: 350 10th Ave Ste 500, San Diego, CA, USA
Division: Cox Communications
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Shift: Day Job
Requisition Number: 221089
At Cox, we’re forward-thinking innovators who put people first. Our award-winning workplace culture is centered on inclusion and kindness, and we’re looking for people to join our mission to be a force for good in the world. Come build a better future with us across automotive, communications, the environment and more.
We want to do everything we can to keep our employees safe and healthy. Therefore, where permitted by applicable law, you will need to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to be considered for this U.S.-based job. Reasonable accommodations for medical and religious objections will of course be considered.
Keep reading to learn more about this opportunity to join the Cox family of businesses.
The Advertising Account Executive with Cox Media sells local commercial advertising on 50+ cable and/or broadcast networks and other media to new and existing clients. Identifies and makes cold calls on prospective clients, is accountable for meeting sales goals, servicing accounts after the sale is made, and for maintaining an up-to-date client database. Identifies the clients marketing needs, presents proposed campaigns, and negotiates terms, conditions, and pricing. Builds and maintains ongoing relationships with clients. Follows up and coordinating order processing through all phases of the commercial insertion process.
Primary Responsibilities and Essential Functions
- Sells local advertising and products on cable and/or broadcast networks to new and existing clients from a range of industries and business sizes. Leverages the position of Cox to influence clients marketing strategies.
- Cultivates consulting relationships with clients and their ad agencies, forming customer relationships at multiple levels. Makes frequent contact; maintains in-depth knowledge of their business, industry and key competitors; regularly updates needs analysis; monitors ad campaign effectiveness and makes changes as required; and solves problems. May entertain clients.
- Identifies new prospective clients by observing other media, networking inside and outside of Cox, and looking for new businesses that might want to advertise in order to develop own client list. Prospecting (tasks 3 - 5) may take up 80% of time for new AEs.
- Cold calls prospective clients and tries to interest them in on-air advertising by explaining the process and benefits of advertising through Cox.
- Meets with prospective or existing clients in person to learn the clients advertising needs.
- Prepares sales proposals and presentations designed to meet individual client needs by reviewing rating data and other research; and consulting with internal resources as needed, primarily Marketing, Research, and Sales Support. [Proposal development]
- Delivers sales presentations regarding proposed advertising campaigns to prospective and existing clients.
- Negotiates the terms, conditions, and pricing of advertising campaigns with the client.
- Manages and coordinates communication between the client and the production department during the creation of the clients commercial (e.g. solves problems, develops concepts, monitors quality, sometimes writes scripts, ensures that ad copy supports the clients marketing plans, gathers information regarding what details are needed in the commercial, facilitates contact between client and production, sets up and attends initial meetings).
- Prepares weekly and monthly sales activity reports using software designed for that purpose (e.g., SalesMinder, AvailPro).
- Keeps client database up to date by recording all activities, transactions, and communications with clients.
- Creates opportunities to serve as a public representative and image builder of Cox in the local community in order to network and develop and maintain the presence of Cox in the community (e.g. promotes and/or attends non-profit events, serves as a member of the Chamber of Commerce and other local councils, becomes a member of the Ad Federation or American Marketing Association).
- Manages and coordinates fulfillment of client advertising orders (e.g., solves problems, develops concepts, monitors quality, ensures that ad copy supports the clients marketing plans, facilitates communication between client and production). Attends job-related training as well as strategic and/or development meetings with their Local Sales Manager.
- Participates in many internal meetings to create product packages, communicates and coordinates sales, reports on sales activities and the implementation of new products, solves problems, and keeps up-to-date with information about Cox.
- Complies with all published rate, package and pricing guidelines.
- Maintains collections to keep bad debt to an absolute minimum.
- Participates in the creation of processes required to sell, implement, and bill for new products.
- Must be able to multitask and manage all phases of the business sales cycle. Long learning curve (3 - 6 months) due to large portfolio of complex products.
- Continuous learning is required due to regular introduction of new products.
- Lack of structure, ambiguity, products, processes, metrics, etc. are created and defined on the fly.
- Success is dependent on successful collaboration within Cox and development of internal relationships.
- Team selling is critical to ensure clients needs are met; often requires selling new and bundled products and services.
- Where permitted by applicable law, must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to be considered for this U.S.-based job. (Reasonable accommodations for medical and religious objections will be considered.)
- 2-5 years of cable, broadcast, advertising sales/support or marketing experience
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- A valid driving license, a good driving record and reliable transportation
- BS/BA degree in related discipline strongly desired (business, advertising or marketing)
- Solid understanding of marketing principals and applications in business
- Interactive Advertising Bureau Certification and/or Google Ad Words Certified a plus
Who We Are
About Cox Communications
Cox Communications is committed to creating meaningful moments of human connection through broadband applications and services. The largest private telecom company in America, we proudly serve six million homes and businesses across 18 states. Were dedicated to empowering others to build a better future and celebrate diverse products, people, suppliers, communities and the characteristics that makes each one unique.
We are the Cox family of businesses. Weve been making our mark since 1898 by building and evolving world-class businesses, staying true to our values, and encouraging top talent to always look for growth and impact while building a career with us. Our primary divisions - Cox Communications and Cox Automotive - are driving a new wave of innovation, powering smart cities with powerhouse broadband communications and pioneering greener, more progressive transportation alternatives for individuals and fleet operators. Were also expanding into new spaces like cleantech and healthcare to rev up our momentum toward building a better future for the next generation. Were looking for the talent today who will be our leaders tomorrow. Sound intriguing? Learn more about where we are today, where we hope youll be going with us, and the common purpose that unites us at coxenterprises.com.
Benefits of working at Cox may include health care insurance (medical, dental, vision), retirement planning (401(k)), and paid days off (sick leave, parental leave, flexible vacation/wellness days, and/or PTO). For more details on what benefits you may be offered, visit our benefits page.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individuals age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.
About Cox Communications
Cox Communications is a broadband communications and entertainment company, providing advanced digital video, Internet, telephone and home security and automation services over its own nationwide IP network. The third-largest U.S. cable company, Cox serves approximately 6 million residences and businesses. Cox Business is a facilities-based provider of voice, video and data solutions for commercial customers, and Cox Media is a full-service provider of national and local cable spot and digital media advertising.
Cox is known for its pioneering efforts in broadband, voice and commercial services, industry-leading customer care and its outstanding workplaces. For nine years, Cox has been recognized as the top operator for women by Women in Cable Telecommunications; Cox has ranked among DiversityInc's Top 50 Companies for Diversity 11 times. More information about Cox Communications, a wholly owned subsidiary of Cox Enterprises, is available at www.cox.com and www.coxmedia.com.
Want to learn more about Cox Communications? Visit Cox Communications's website.
Content is the cornerstone to all we do, and our audience is why we do it.