All Media Journalist I - Part-time
Cox Enterprises, Dayton, OH 45409
Work at Cox Enterprises
Primary Location: 1611 S Main St, Dayton, OH, USA
Division: Cox Enterprises
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Shift: Day Job
Requisition Number: 219636
At Cox, we’re forward-thinking innovators who put people first. Our award-winning workplace culture is centered on inclusion and kindness, and we’re looking for people to join our mission to be a force for good in the world. Come build a better future with us across automotive, communications, the environment and more.
We want to do everything we can to keep our employees safe and healthy. Therefore, where permitted by applicable law, you will need to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to be considered for this U.S.-based job. Reasonable accommodations for medical and religious objections will of course be considered.
Keep reading to learn more about this opportunity to join the Cox family of businesses.
This part-time role will be responsible for covering the events, organizations and people that make up the arts/entertainment and cultural scene in the Dayton area, including their creative activities, funding, leadership, and other newsworthy changes.
This journalists work would be primarily for Dayton.com, but available to all Cox First Media platforms, and would include creation of articles and other written content such as lists and "snackables," photos, videos, and digital interactives.
Position includes creation of articles and other content such as lists, photos, videos and digital interactives and search-optimized content.
Important Note: This is a part-time position projected to work between 25-29 hours per week.
- Lifestyles and entertainment themed articles, digital and mobile first but to also appear in printed newspaper, including restaurant news and features, food deals, attractions and entertainment and dining guides.
- Previews and live coverage of events, including weekends and evenings
- Focus on mobile-first and/or alternative content presentation, such as interactives, maps, and quizzes
- Creation of videos and photo galleries, including taking photos, editing and posting to digital platforms
- Social media coverage of local events, including Facebook Live, Instagram stories and posting to Twitter, Facebook, Instagram feeds and interaction/engagement with audience
- Curation and aggregation of content, including social media
- Analyzing site metrics, social media performance and local/national trending content to determine content subject matter
- Monitoring social conversations in the local arts and entertainment community as well as sites that focus on local culture issues.
- Use of research to tailor stories to fit the audience for print and digital
- Knack for telling stories in a relatable and compelling way
- Familiarity with standards for avoiding libel and slander
- Ability to work in high-energy, fast-paced environment
- Generate story ideas that will be of interest to our digital audience.
- Display a sense of urgency and energy
- Sound news judgment for digital and print
- Use time effectively, efficiently, meeting deadlines and producing an acceptable volume of work. Is flexible in shift starting times and work locations.
- Job responsibilities may change over time depending on technology and company priorities
Digital content production: Typically, 3 to 5 pieces of content daily that can be used as needed with minimal reworking or rewriting by editing staff. Content should be mobile-friendly.
Print content production: Typically, 3 to 5 stories weekly plus Sunday feature, repurposed from earlier digital publication.
- Where permitted by applicable law, this offer is contingent upon proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 absent approval for a religious or medical accommodation exempting you from the vaccination requirement. As a part of the hire process, you will be provided directions on how to submit your proof of vaccination. (If you need to request an accommodation, please inform your recruiter).
- Strong written language and communication skills
- Is highly productive and produces accurate work at high volume
- Ability to handle multiple deadlines
- Good at prioritizing work and managing time
- Is familiar with and an active participant in social media particularly with Twitter, Facebook, Instagram. (Candidates should supply handles for verification.)
- Strong skills with digital tools and technology
- Ability to read and interpret social, page view and visit metrics
The responsibilities above are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for this position.
- A degree in journalism, communications or a related field strongly preferred
- Experience in journalism, communications, social media or related media field preferred.
- Education and experience in digital, or newspaper platforms preferred
- 1-3 years experience in newsgathering organization preferred
- Must have and maintain a valid drivers license and safe driving record due to expectations of driving to cover news/events
Who We Are
We are the Cox family of businesses. Weve been making our mark since 1898 by building and evolving world-class businesses, staying true to our values, and encouraging top talent to always look for growth and impact while building a career with us. Our primary divisions - Cox Communications and Cox Automotive - are driving a new wave of innovation, powering smart cities with powerhouse broadband communications and pioneering greener, more progressive transportation alternatives for individuals and fleet operators. Were also expanding into new spaces like cleantech and healthcare to rev up our momentum toward building a better future for the next generation. Were looking for the talent today who will be our leaders tomorrow. Sound intriguing? Learn more about where we are today, where we hope youll be going with us, and the common purpose that unites us at coxenterprises.com.
Benefits of working at Cox may include health care insurance (medical, dental, vision), retirement planning (401(k)), and paid days off (sick leave, parental leave, flexible vacation/wellness days, and/or PTO). For more details on what benefits you may be offered, visit our benefits page.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individuals age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.
About Cox Enterprises
Create the extraordinary.