County All Media Journalist II
Cox Enterprises, Dayton, OH 45409
Work at Cox Enterprises
Primary Location: 1611 S Main St, Dayton, OH, USA
Division: Cox Enterprises
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Shift: Day Job
Requisition Number: 219565
VACCINE POLICY: WHERE PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, YOU MUST BE FULLY VACCINATED AGAINST COVID-19 TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS U.S.-BASED JOB (REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS FOR MEDICAL AND RELIGIOUS OBJECTIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED).
The Dayton Daily News seeks an experienced journalist who is an expert at story telling through writing, photography, video and other visual tools to cover Montgomery County.
Montgomery County is home to more than 500,000 people and its government serves diverse communities of race and socioeconomics.
The Montgomery County AMJ will cover the most important stories impacting the region and be a watchdog for taxpayer money.
They will document the most important stories the Dayton Daily News will be telling its readers in print and digital and be expected to contribute sophistication, clarity and sound news judgement to the papers coverage.
The successful candidate should be dogged, organized, self-directed and analytical. They will work alone or at times on teams and will be expected to contribute significantly to solving problems and creating excellent print and digital coverage.
Other job duties assigned as needed.
- Where permitted by applicable law, this offer is contingent upon proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 absent approval for a religious or medical accommodation exempting you from the vaccination requirement. As a part of the hire process, you will be provided directions on how to submit your proof of vaccination. (If you need to request an accommodation, please inform your recruiter).
- Displays a strong sense of urgency, high energy and tenacity to get the best, most complete content for readers.
- Develops and nurtures sources, building relationships that result in scoops.
- Generates impactful story ideas.
- Is experienced at using digital visual editing software to create photos, photo galleries, digital videos and optimizing digital story telling with photos.
- Is good with details and asking questions and can report from news events independently if necessary.
- Familiar with digital analytical tools and how to use them to inform decisions about what to cover and how to present it.
- Has demonstrated record of working in a complex newsroom environment.
- Generates clean and concise copy and is well-versed in AP Style.
- Generates work that is balanced, fair, complete, in-depth and dependable, incorporating a diverse range of sources. Copy should not contain errors of fact or judgment and should not include any issues of bias.
- Uses time effectively and efficiently to meet deadlines.
- Able to work in a digital content management system to optimize, use SEO tactics, and social media to help distribute the content as widely as possible.
- Additional experience, skills and qualifications may qualify an applicant for an All Media Journalist III role.
- Bachelors degree preferred in Journalism or related field.
- Education and experience in digital news production preferred.
- Five years of full-time experience at daily news content creation preferred.
- Requirements may change over time depending on technology and company priorities.
- Possesses a valid drivers license.
Who We Are
We are the Cox family of businesses. Weve been making our mark since 1898 by building and evolving world-class businesses, staying true to our values, and encouraging top talent to always look for growth and impact while building a career with us. Our primary divisions - Cox Communications and Cox Automotive - are driving a new wave of innovation, powering smart cities with powerhouse broadband communications and pioneering greener, more progressive transportation alternatives for individuals and fleet operators. Were also expanding into new spaces like cleantech and healthcare to rev up our momentum toward building a better future for the next generation. Were looking for the talent today who will be our leaders tomorrow. Sound intriguing? Learn more about where we are today, where we hope youll be going with us, and the common purpose that unites us at coxenterprises.com.
Benefits of working at Cox may include health care insurance (medical, dental, vision), retirement planning (401(k)), and paid days off (sick leave, parental leave, flexible vacation/wellness days, and/or PTO). For more details on what benefits you may be offered, visit our benefits page.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individuals age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.
About Cox Enterprises
We produce and distribute content through some of the world’s leading and most valued brands
Creative Jobs For You
Managing Editor, Deseret Magazine (Deseret News Publishing Com...
Deseret News Publishing Company, Salt Lake City, Utah (some remote work possible)