All Media Journalist III - Business Coverage
Cox Enterprises, Dayton, OH 45402
Work at Cox Enterprises
Primary Location: 601 E. Third St, Dayton, OH, USA
Division: Cox Enterprises
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Shift: Day Job
Requisition Number: 224392
At Cox, we’re forward-thinking innovators who put people first. Our award-winning workplace culture is centered on inclusion and kindness, and we’re looking for people to join our mission to be a force for good in the world. Come build a better future with us across automotive, communications, the environment and more.
We want to do everything we can to keep our employees safe and healthy. Therefore, where permitted by applicable law, you will need to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to be considered for this U.S.-based job. Reasonable accommodations for medical and religious objections will of course be considered.
Keep reading to learn more about this opportunity to join the Cox family of businesses.
The Dayton Daily News (a part of the Cox Enterprises, Inc family of businesses) is looking for an all-media journalist who will investigate, write and produce business content for all of our media brands, with a special emphasis on small businesses, business innovation and their impact on jobs and the economy in our region.
This position focuses on the companies and organizations that make up a large portion of our region. The all-media journalist will be responsible for growing the Dayton Business brand online with websites, Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. The winning candidate will be expected to publish daily interesting pieces that help readers understand the business community in our region and be able to dive deep into stories that look at major events, decisions and turning points.
The writer should have a passion for telling great stories on digital, beating the competition with news first, and be able to thrive in a fast-paced work environment. They should also be familiar and comfortable with creating videos. We will be looking for candidates who have excellent reporting and writing skills; the ability to write and edit quickly; have a knack for telling stories in a relatable and compelling way; and have a demonstrated social media presence.
- Displays a strong sense of urgency, high energy and tenacity to get the best, most complete content for readers.
- Develops and nurtures sources, building relationships that result in scoops.
- Generates impactful story ideas.
- Is experienced at using digital visual editing software to create photos, photo galleries, digital videos and optimizing digital story telling with photos.
- Is good with details and asking questions and can report from news events independently if necessary.
- Familiar with digital analytical tools and how to use them to inform decisions about what to cover and how to present it.
- Has demonstrated record of working in a complex newsroom environment.
- Generates clean and concise copy and is well-versed in AP Style.
- Generates work that is balanced, fair, complete, in-depth and dependable, incorporating a diverse range of sources. Copy should not contain errors of fact or judgment and should not include any issues of bias.
- Uses time effectively and efficiently to meet deadlines.
- Able to work in a digital content management system to optimize, use SEO tactics, and social media to help distribute the content as widely as possible.
- Carries out additional duties as required.
- Bachelors degree preferred in Journalism or related field.
- Education and experience in digital news production preferred.
- Three years or more of full-time experience at daily news content creation preferred.
- Requirements may change over time depending on technology and company priorities.
- Possesses a valid drivers license and is expected to provide their own reliable transportation to and from daily assignments.
Who We Are
We are the Cox family of businesses. Weve been making our mark since 1898 by building and evolving world-class businesses, staying true to our values, and encouraging top talent to always look for growth and impact while building a career with us. Our primary divisions - Cox Communications and Cox Automotive - are driving a new wave of innovation, powering smart cities with powerhouse broadband communications and pioneering greener, more progressive transportation alternatives for individuals and fleet operators. Were also expanding into new spaces like cleantech and healthcare to rev up our momentum toward building a better future for the next generation. Were looking for the talent today who will be our leaders tomorrow. Sound intriguing? Learn more about where we are today, where we hope youll be going with us, and the common purpose that unites us at coxenterprises.com.
Benefits of working at Cox may include health care insurance (medical, dental, vision), retirement planning (401(k)), and paid days off (sick leave, parental leave, flexible vacation/wellness days, and/or PTO). For more details on what benefits you may be offered, visit our benefits page.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individuals age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.
About Cox Enterprises
We give readers what they want, before they want it.