Cox Enterprises, Atlanta, GA 30328
Work at Cox Enterprises
Primary Location: 7000 Central Pkwy NE, Atlanta, GA, USA
Division: Cox Enterprises
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Requisition Number: 225207
At Cox, we’re forward-thinking innovators who put people first. Our award-winning workplace culture is centered on inclusion and kindness, and we’re looking for people to join our mission to be a force for good in the world. Come build a better future with us across automotive, communications, the environment and more.
We want to do everything we can to keep our employees safe and healthy. Therefore, where permitted by applicable law, you will need to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to be considered for this U.S.-based job. Reasonable accommodations for medical and religious objections will of course be considered.
Keep reading to learn more about this opportunity to join the Cox family of businesses.
Are you interested in growing into a news leadership role in a stable, vibrant and ambitious newsroom where every voice is valued as we shape the coverage that best serves our community? The Atlanta Journal-Constitution is seeking candidates to edit stories on health, business and other topics and to guide reporters in coverage that informs and engages readers across our print and digital suite of products.
Initially, you will work as a line editor who sharpens focus, strengthens storytelling and holds powerful institutions accountable. When you are ready, well craft a plan of formal training, mentorship and other support to help you enter management with an ultimate goal of becoming a team leader or taking on a higher role. Candidates already in management or editing are encouraged to apply, as are reporters and writers with a strong, demonstrated record of coaching others through informal or formal roles.
Superior line editing of news stories is essential. This editor, working with a team leader, will serve readers quality journalistic content thats deeply reported, fair, accurate, incorporates authoritative sources and is relevant to those affected by the news. The editor must be able diagnose and resolve any concerns with framing and storytelling, but also should work to prevent problems by coaching reporters to produce clear, polished copy quickly. Demonstrated skills in coaching for digital formats, such as video or podcast storytelling, are a plus.
The editor brings a high level of craft to the role and works closely with team members and the leader to help plan coverage and embrace new forms of digital storytelling.
Our coverage focuses on metro Atlanta and Atlantas influence on the region. We closely monitor news topics like state and local government, elections and politics and the local economy and passion topics like sports, dining and other entertainment.
Our reporters, editors and photographers aggressively document the regions moments, milestones and people. Every day, in print and online, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution informs and empowers readers who value credible, in-depth journalism.
If you have a passion for our mission -- uncovering the truth, protecting the publics right to know and holding community leaders accountable for serving the public -- and want to work in one of Americas most important, vibrant and diverse cities, wed like to hear from you as soon as possible.
Whats In It For You?
Cox would be nothing without its people, and we take care of them first. Heres a peak at our best-in-class benefits package and award-winning employee culture:
- We all have lives and responsibilities outside of work, and we respect that. We have an exceptional work/life balance at Cox, with accommodating work schedules and flexible time-off policies.
- Our talent is paid what theyre worth with a competitive salary package and top-notch bonus & incentive plans.
- We help you prepare for the future with a 401(k) (that well generously match), life insurance and disability insurance.
- Youll enjoy a generous suite of healthcare benefits with various deductible options, along with pharmacy benefits, Flexible Spending Account & Health Savings Account options, counseling for mental wellness and more.
- Looking to grow your family? Rest assured youll have access to our inclusive parental leave policies, plus comprehensive fertility coverage and adoption assistance.
- Want to volunteer in your community? We encourage that, and even offer paid hours for you to do so.
- Our employees enjoy discounts on computers, entertainment, travel and more.
- Continuing education and professional development are important, and at Cox we offer both.
- We all love our pets—whether they walk, crawl, fly, swim or slither—and were happy to supply insurance for them as well.
Our benefits packages are designed to support your unique needs for health and happiness. As an employee, youll be able to explore our myriad benefits and select the ones that best support you and your family.
What Youll Do
- Edit the most important work of Atlanta Journal-Constitution writers, working as a highly skilled consultant and craftsman to guide reporters to create and polish stories for clarity and completeness.
- Edit with a strong mastery of the needs of newspaper and ajc.com readers, serving as their most important advocate.
- Work with reporters to spot and remedy reporting holes, bias and other issues.
- Juggle a complex volume and velocity of work to satisfy the deadline requirements of multiple platforms.
- Work closely with the print, digital and visuals teams to execute the best visual plans possible for each story.
Coach members of the team to continuous improvement, helping with reporting, writing and story framing and effectively communicating where and how improvements can be made.
- Evaluate the work of team members and identify persistent patterns that need addressing.
- Address patterns through coaching and inspiration, offering tips, training, outside reading and other tools to help the team member improve. Alert senior editor to gaps that should be addressed with formal performance management.
- Identify and act on development opportunities for team members
Other duties that can vary seasonally or with news cycle, including participation in special project teams, task forces and other activities that contribute to wider leadership of the business enterprise.
- Maintain strong and consistent communication with the story editing team, coordinating time off and work in times when workload is heavy.
- Maintain flexibility and embrace growth opportunities outside of core responsibilities
- Fully embrace the AJC newsroom commitment to diversity and inclusion in journalism by reviewing stories for appropriate voices, and encourage reporters to diversify their source base and reflect the communities they cover
- Bachelors degree preferred
Years & Type of Experience
- Five or more years of newsroom experience required.
- Editing experience of five or more years preferred
- Demonstrated expertise in high-level story editing, including narrative, explanatory and investigative forms.
- Expert knowledge of grammar, usage, AP style
- Demonstrated strong news judgment and excellent editing ability.
- Strong ability to organize, analyze, interpret and disseminate information.
- Ability to lead through influence rather than solely through authority
- Ability to work weekend and unusual hours as dictated by news events
- Ability to edit and work remotely
Who We Are
We are the Cox family of businesses. Weve been making our mark since 1898 by building and evolving world-class businesses, staying true to our values, and encouraging top talent to always look for growth and impact while building a career with us. Our primary divisions - Cox Communications and Cox Automotive - are driving a new wave of innovation, powering smart cities with powerhouse broadband communications and pioneering greener, more progressive transportation alternatives for individuals and fleet operators. Were also expanding into new spaces like cleantech and healthcare to rev up our momentum toward building a better future for the next generation. Were looking for the talent today who will be our leaders tomorrow. Sound intriguing? Learn more about where we are today, where we hope youll be going with us, and the common purpose that unites us at coxenterprises.com.
Benefits of working at Cox may include health care insurance (medical, dental, vision), retirement planning (401(k)), and paid days off (sick leave, parental leave, flexible vacation/wellness days, and/or PTO). For more details on what benefits you may be offered, visit our benefits page.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individuals age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.
About Cox Enterprises
Content is the cornerstone to all we do, and our audience is why we do it.