Cox Enterprises, Atlanta, GA 30328
Work at Cox Enterprises
Primary Location: 7000 Central Pkwy NE, Atlanta, GA, USA
Division: Cox Enterprises
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Requisition Number: 225850
At Cox, we’re forward-thinking innovators who put people first. Our award-winning workplace culture is centered on inclusion and kindness, and we’re looking for people to join our mission to be a force for good in the world. Come build a better future with us across automotive, communications, the environment and more.
We want to do everything we can to keep our employees safe and healthy. Therefore, where permitted by applicable law, you will need to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to be considered for this U.S.-based job. Reasonable accommodations for medical and religious objections will of course be considered.
Keep reading to learn more about this opportunity to join the Cox family of businesses.
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution is looking for a data journalist to join our growing digital storytelling team. We are looking for someone who sees data analysis and visualization as an important part of the stories we tell about Atlanta and the state of Georgia. You should be a person committed to collaborating with a team of dedicated journalists, and willing to team up with reporters across the newsroom to elevate our data journalism.
Here is what you will do from day to day in our newsroom:
- Contribute data analysis to stories by other journalists in the newsroom and occasionally team up with reporters to co-write stories.
- File records requests with local, state, and federal agencies for stories.
- Build tools that help us collect, store, and analyze data from multiple sources.
- Maintain a robust collection of local, state, and federal data used by all journalists.
- Help make others in the newsroom aware of the power of data in our storytelling.
You may not possess all (or any) of these skills but tell us what you do know and how you think those skills will benefit The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
What we are looking for:
- A Bachelors degree in journalism, computer science or a related field is preferred.
- An ability to find data, clean, analyze and sometimes visualize it.
- An ability to unlock data from websites, PDFs and whatever other formats agencies dream up to keep the information from the public.
- Experience with a wide variety of computer-assisted reporting tools including basics like Excel, as well as more advanced tools for obtaining data, analyzing data and presenting it is required.
- Experience managing databases on Amazon Web Services tools.
- Experience analyzing and visualizing data with an eye for user-focused design. Our team uses Datawrapper to build most graphics, but we understand that one size does not fit all. A working knowledge of D3.js is not required but it is a plus.
- You should be organized. You will work on a diverse set of stories that might run the next day or six months from now.
Who We Are
We are the Cox family of businesses. Weve been making our mark since 1898 by building and evolving world-class businesses, staying true to our values, and encouraging top talent to always look for growth and impact while building a career with us. Our primary divisions - Cox Communications and Cox Automotive - are driving a new wave of innovation, powering smart cities with powerhouse broadband communications and pioneering greener, more progressive transportation alternatives for individuals and fleet operators. Were also expanding into new spaces like cleantech and healthcare to rev up our momentum toward building a better future for the next generation. Were looking for the talent today who will be our leaders tomorrow. Sound intriguing? Learn more about where we are today, where we hope youll be going with us, and the common purpose that unites us at coxenterprises.com.
Benefits of working at Cox may include health care insurance (medical, dental, vision), retirement planning (401(k)), and paid days off (sick leave, parental leave, flexible vacation/wellness days, and/or PTO). For more details on what benefits you may be offered, visit our benefits page.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individuals age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.
About Cox Enterprises
We produce and distribute content through some of the world’s leading and most valued brands