The Macmillan Childrens Group has an excellent opportunity for someone who loves childrens books and is interested in continuing their career in childrens publishing at a publisher of fine trade books.
We are seeking a motivated individual with childrens book design experience who possesses strong applied skills in design, layout, and typography for the position of Associate Designer. The position encompasses a wide range of responsibilities designing and assisting on all art/design related aspects of producing high quality trade childrens picture books, middle grade, and young adult novels in both hardcover and paperback in our fast-paced art department. This is an excellent opportunity for a candidate passionate about design that has one to two years experience in a childrens art department and is ready to take on more design challenges.We would also be open to meeting with a recent graduate who has a strong design portfolio and a keen interest in childrens books.
- Provide design assistance and support Creative Directors on design projects
- Manage all aspects and stages of book design for trade picture books, novels, illustrated mid-grade and paperback editions.
- Assist with the design of novel covers from basic concept, photo research, to finished product.
- Collaborate on book projects with editors, Creative Directors, fellow art staff members, and production department from sketch stage to final bound book
- Commitment to implement and deliver consistent, high quality designs for all assigned tasks
- Provide administrative support to busy department
- Working knowledge in the principles of typography and graphic design
- Contemporary/commercial design sensibility a plus
- A visual portfolio demonstrating creative talent, refined sense of typography, use of images with overall simplicity and powerful sense of communication
- Excellent Mac skills including Adobe PhotoShop, Illustrator, and InDesign
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills
- Superior organizational skills and a keen eye for details
- Effective problem solving skills, as well as the ability to plan and execute quickly and resourcefully
- Able to work independently, set goals and maintain workflow and schedules.
- Able to provide creative solutions to design challenges, and also accept creative direction
- Excellent time management skills and ability to handle multiple projects, work independently and meet deadlines
- Minimum 1-2 years professional design experience in childrens publishing.
Educational Background Required:
- Bachelor's degree in Graphic Design, Fine Art or equivalent