Director of Communications
New Profit is seeking a strategic, entrepreneurial, and intellectually curious Director of Communications to set, guide, and implement an organization-wide communications strategy for the firm. Tasked with expanding and building out the communications function at New Profit, the Director of Communications will partner and collaborate with a broad range of departments at the organization, including Development, Investor Relations, Portfolio Management, Events, Talent, the Action Tank, and the Executive Office.
The Director of Communications will be both a strategic thinker and an action-oriented team player who can execute on a variety of day-to-day responsibilities. He or she will develop a longer-term vision for the communications function, drive and integrate an organization-wide brand strategy across all relevant functions, serve as a thought partner to executive leadership on communications-related challenges, and develop and implement an annual communications plan to serve the organizations goals.
An exceptional writer and creative thinker, the Director of Communications will be knowledgeable about print collateral and design, website development and maintenance, social media, emerging communications technologies, and media relations. He or she will be a major team player in the organization, capable of responding to a wide range of requests to support departments across the firm.
The Director of Communications will develop, drive, and support a wide range of ongoing communications activities including but not limited to brand integration, media and crisis communications work, collateral production, writing and editing, vendor management, and social media.
- With New Profit senior leadership, develop and implement an annual strategic plan that sets out clear and concise communications goals for the organization;
- Work with senior leadership as well as relevant consultants to drive and integrate a brand strategy to tell New Profits story and clearly define our mission and scope;
- Develop and execute on a proactive media and crisis communications strategy; build relationships with key stakeholders in the sector, including journalists and bloggers;
- Collaborate with various New Profit team members and external vendors to develop a range of print, online, and multimedia materials including New Profits annual report, pieces for major events, materials for the Investor Relations and Development departments, and online and print collateral for the Action Tank;
- Write, edit, and/or proofread content for print materials and online; update and maintain content on New Profit websites; help maintain New Profits social media presence and contribute to efforts to expand onto other social media platforms; help facilitate and ensure integration between online communications and traditional print collateral;
- Stay current in communications best practices, supporting evaluation and implementation of new technology, features, and platforms; analyze performance of New Profits websites and other communications activities, design ways to measure performance;
- Manage regular planning and design meetings, including setting meeting agendas and documenting meetings; create detailed work plans incorporating all team members
- Oversee daily media monitoring efforts and keep New Profit staff up-to-date on press coverage related to our portfolio organizations, staff, and supporters.
- Significant professional experience in marketing/communications;
- Exceptional original writing skills, including the ability to synthesize and improve existing written material, keen editorial judgment, and the ability to write for different audiences and delivery channels (print, websites, social media, etc.) to effectively communicate New Profits mission, impact, and value proposition to a wide range of stakeholders;
- Superior attention to detail; ability to serve as a steward of quality for all external communications for New Profit;
- Excellent project management skills with the ability to juggle multiple, detailed projects while driving toward deadlines;
- Strong management skills with the ability to manage up and laterally;
- Creative thinking with the ability to identify innovative ways to communicate and engage audiences through a variety of avenues;
- Unwavering commitment to service and customer orientation;
- Demonstrated passion for and commitment to New Profits mission and vision exemplified through professional background or a significant history of community involvement;
- High level of interpersonal maturity, poise, and judgment;
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively as part of a growing, entrepreneurial, mission-driven team;
- High comfort level with ambiguity and entrepreneurship;
- Broad understanding of, and willingness to stay abreast of new media technologies, applications, and processes;
- Proficiency in HTML desirable; Photoshop, InDesign, digital audio/video capture, and editing skills a plus;
- Bachelors degree or equivalent required
Please upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity, both in Word format, to Jennifer Anderson at http://jobs.cgcareers.org/application.aspx?id=1829. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
ABOUT COMMONGOOD CAREERS
New Profit has partnered with Commongood Careers to conduct the search for a Director of Communications. Commongood Careers is a nonprofit search service that connects talented individuals to organizations that are dedicated to creating positive social change. Founded and staffed by nonprofit professionals, Commongood Careers offers personalized, engaged services to jobseekers and organizations throughout the hiring process, as well as access to a wealth of knowledge about nonprofit careers. Learn more about nonprofit jobs at Commongood Careers.