Bedford/St. Martins seeks Development Editor with creativity and strong writing skills to develop undergraduate Communication, Mass Communication, Journalism, and Film textbooks, Web content, and ancillary elements that promise competitive advantage. This position is located in our New York office.
- Working with authors to develop features for Communication, mass communication, film, and journalism textbooks that will appeal to the market
- Shaping and editing content for the print and electronic textbooks in these course areas, while thinking about design, marketability, art programs, and ancillary packages.
- Working with our new media group to help develop Web sites, products for a variety of platforms, and other electronic ancillaries
- Keeping abreast of pedagogical and market trends
- Writing and editing promotional copy
- Working with the Publisher of the Communication list and the editorial team to develop the list, including cross-list print, new media, and video ancillaries
- Travel to professional conferences, college campuses, and sales meetings.
Required Skills / Knowledge:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, with ability to form productive working relationships with authors, colleagues, and adopters
- Strong project management skills, with ability to juggle multiple ongoing projects and work effectively in a fast-paced environment
- A self starter who can set priorities, meet deadlines, and work independentlyas well as collaboratively
- Close attention to detail
- Interest in and ability to think creatively about the fields of Communication
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Interest in new media devices/platforms, applications, and trends
- Teaching or tutoring experience a plus
- Three to five years experience in college textbook developmental editing with solid track record of publications
- Experience in college Communication market preferred
Educational Background Required:
- Bachelors degree required
Masters degree in related field a plus