Associate Director of Public Relations
ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR OF PUBLIC RELATIONS, GRAFTON CAMPUS
Tufts University Public Relations (based on three campuses in Medford-Somerville, Boston and Grafton) communicates the excellence of Tufts University; its schools, faculty, students; and accomplishments to the public via the media. Public Relations staff members seek and develop opportunities for Tufts leaders, faculty, students, research, and projects to appear in the print, broadcast, and electronic press around the world, while also responding to all incoming media inquiries. Public Relations staff members also provide counsel to the deans, faculty and administrators on a variety of potentially sensitive issues. Through the efforts of the Public Relations department, the University communicates its contributions to its various constituencies and the world and enhances its reputation.
The Associate Director of Public Relations for Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts University (TCSVM) reports to the Director of Public Relations for Tufts University and is part of a both central administration team and a school-specific team supporting the research, clinics and programs of the Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine. Based on TCSVM's Grafton, Mass., campus s/he will work closely with, and provide advice to, the Dean, senior administrators and faculty at the Cummings School and the marketing team at the School, including the Director of Marketing. S/he will also work collaboratively with Public Relations team members on other campuses and with other University Relations departments. Major responsibilities include:
- Writing press releases for, and pitching, top-tier, local, and trade media;
- Counseling dean and others on media and messaging strategies;
- Responding to media requests and supervising interviews and shoots;
- Developing storylines for use in media and for repackaging in publications
- Contributing to community and government relations;
- Contributing to all-University PR strategies and University-wide initiatives
Bachelor’s degree and at least eight (8) years of public relations, media relations and communications experience in business, government, healthcare, non-profit or higher education. The selected individual must possess the proven ability to be a self-starter tackling a variety of public relations challenges. S/he must have enthusiasm for and demonstrated success in securing positive media coverage of institutional programs and research at an academic setting or comparable organization. Strong writing, editing and verbal skills are required along with excellent judgment, solid news sense, and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of departments and individuals. S/he must have enthusiasm for TCSVM's mission of advancing the health and wellbeing of animals, humans and the environment through clinical care, research and teaching. Experience with public relations strategic planning and implementation and some issues/crisis management experience needed. Basic computer skills, including Microsoft Office, and familiarity with digital and social media tools necessary.
- Experience in print, broadcast, or online journalism and social media
- Familiarity with general academic and scientific research practices (various types of research, peer review, publication, etc.)
- Experience with Photoshop, Cision, EurekAlert, and similar tools
- Familiarity with the use of animals in research and animal welfare issues
- Familiarity with website development, online and print marketing, and branding campaigns
Tufts University is an AA/EO employer and actively seeks candidates from diverse backgrounds.