Sr. Software Engineer
The Sr Software Engineer will be part of the company's primary team for developing its cutting-edge optimization and scheduling technology, which is branded as AdLearn. The engineer will work within the Research and Development department, which develops the AdLearn technologies. The engineer will support and lead the development, deployment and operations of various infrastructure and data analysis technologies for the R&D Department. Amongst the engineering challenges this position will face is the collection, transport, and utilization of data within the R&D systems, which can be generated at a rate of 5TB a day, and the creation of analysis systems on algorithms developed by post-doctorate researchers. While the work environment in the Research and Development department is casual, the software engineer will be among the brightest minds of the company and will be pushed to the edge of his or her intellectual capabilities. This job is for someone who likes to proactively solve problems, would like to be challenged by unique coding assignments, is intrigued by advanced mathematics, and is capable of understanding how details impact the "big picture" and vice versa.
- Lead development of software in support of the project goals of the R&D team
- Gather requirements from stakeholders and perform critical analysis of the state needs
- Design and develop C++, Java, PHP, or Perl code in order to accomplish the projects requirements.
- Develop and execute tests to validate developed software and ensure adherence to requirements
- Provide technical support in the utilization of developed applications
- Be able to work nimbly in a rapidly changing R&D environment, yet still be able to apply solid software engineering practices all work done.
- Be able color:black">to travel occasionally to other AOL offices (2 times/year at most)
- Other duties as needed
- Strong problem solving skills are a must! This is primarily a problem-solving job
- Strong software engineering skills with 5-10 years of experience, preferably with some lead experience
- Experience with designing software that interacts with large data sets
- Excellent C++ programming skills
- Strong Java, Perl, or PHP skills, and good familiarity with UNIX.
- Solid understanding of the concepts of object-oriented software design
- Skills and experience on Linux and Windows systems
- Database utilization skills, must be able to interact with MySQL and Oracle databases via SQL
- Matlab development experience would be a big plus
- Excellent software testing and debugging skills
- Detail oriented personality traits
- Excellent English communications and people skills
- Preferred academic backgrounds are Computer Science, Mathematics, Systems Engineering, or Industrial Operations Engineering. Bachelor level education is required, Masters preferred
- Strong math background, especially in statistics, is a plus
Do you want to make the Internet better? We do too. And we’re always looking for people with great ideas. We need free spirits and straight shooters. Creatives and critics. Nerds with nerve. People who love the Internet, but can see its cracks… and future, too. At AOL we’re focused on radically redefining the world of online communications. We are transforming how people around the globe connect with information, entertainment and one another by bringing together award winning journalists and innovative technologies to create rich and engaging consumer experiences. We look for people who are exceptionally imaginative, collaborative, and truly excited about our mission - to inform, entertain and connect the world.