AOL Advertising is revolutionizing the way online advertising works. We operate on the cutting edge of media, giving clients a diversity of means to reach the affluent, influential audiences that consume AOL content on a daily basis. AOL is uniquely positioned in the marketplace to work with brands to move their stories forward given our focus on original content, sophisticated distribution models and social marketing approaches. We are creating high impact experiences that engage consumers around preeminent content brands and powerful editorial approaches. We are taking a cross platform approach to programming that enables our experiences to move from one form to the next like our consumers do. Lastly, we are driving conversation inspired by content, driven in no small part by the Huffington Post, which is core to the DNA we have in the social content space.
We are THE global partner of choice for premium publishers, advertisers and agencies seeking to maximize the value of their online brands. How does the Group work together?
o ADTECH – manages and optimizes delivery of display, video, mobile, and rich media campaigns from a single ad management platform.
o Advertising.com – monetizes inventory and optimizes campaigns with the industry’s most advanced technology and premium ad network.
o Advertising.com Sponsored Listings (ASL) – completes text ad monetization services for publishers and advertisers.
o AOL Premium Formats – drives engaging experiences and captives audiences with premium formats.
o AOL Video – monetizes your video content and seamlessly integrates premium video content to partner sites.
Advertising is a results business and these results are easily defined thanks to premium platforms such as AdLearn – the technology at the heart of Advertising.com that processes up to ten billion transactions per day. No other advertising solutions produce the kind of results we attain.
This position is supporting the Advertising.com line of business.
As a member of Technology Operations, the Operations Architect responsibilities extend across two major functional areas - the operational health of application systems in a 24x7x365 Internet production environment and the integration of changes to component applications produced by development teams. The operations architect accomplishes this by applying a diverse set of technical skills and experiences across a multitude of application and infrastructure technologies, and by maintaining excellent relationships with technology and business stakeholders.
The primary focus for this particular position involves collaborative ownership of a collection of adserving related applications operating on Linux platforms. Secondary focus will include participation on large scale projects wherein existing applications are being re-architected. Additional responsibilities will extend to maintaining metrics and processes associated with capacity management.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Act as Technology Operations representative within Advertising.com’s SDLC, speaking to operational requirements, design considerations, and production impacts for new development efforts. In turn the operations architect owns various tasks within the SDLC, along with the final application products of these efforts and their integration into production. Tasks include:
o Design input and review
o Impact Analysis
o Monitoring, capacity modeling
o Operational Documentation
o SLA development and implementation for resulting products.
• Research, design, develop and implement solutions for fault, performance, capacity, and configuration management for applications. Will work in conjunction with Infrastructure teams to identify combined, centralized solutions.
• Identifies production stability concerns via break point and impact analysis. Designs, develops and implements remediation plans to address.
• Designs, develops and implements documentation or tools to facilitate Technical Support team responsibilities. Mentors Technical Support and operations architecting team on technical aspects of supported applications.
• Designs, develops, and implements documentation or tools appropriate to the maintenance of application platforms.
• Provide Tier 2 support to issues escalated from Technical Support team. Interface with development teams to resolve Tier 3 ‘in code’ issues. On-call support for escalated off-hours issues.
• Identifies opportunity for automation of aforementioned activities. Looks for synergies within the production environment from the perspective of complex, cost, and maintenance activity reduction.
• Maintain a high degree of involvement with Infrastructure teams regarding application needs or repercussions of infrastructure changes.
• Execution and maintenance of internal SLAs developed with business stakeholders.
Required Skills and Abilities:
• Linux operating systems expertise. Should be familiar with HA configurations, security and patch management.
• Experience installing and administering the following software packages:
o SQL Server or Oracle 9i/10g.
o Business Objects
• Strong scripting experience to produce solutions and perform troubleshooting.
• Strong grasp of Internet network concepts, protocols and associated services (TCP/IP, HTTP, FTP, SCP, DNS).
• Installation, configuration and administration experience with operations management tools – HP Open View, MOM, and Netcool.
• Conversant in mass storage systems and NAS environments (EMC) and their ability to meet application needs.
• Strong understanding of application development. Ideal candidate will have some implementation experience in a 3rd or 4th generation language, be capable of understanding and deconstructing program flow, and be conversant with developers on design and implementation options. Familiar with source management tools such as CVS and/or Subversion.
• Understanding of SDLC practices, including requirements gathering, design, impact analysis, implementation, testing, deployment, remediation and operation.
• Experience administering/maintaining multi-tier application systems in a production environment. Candidate must be able to rapidly deconstruct systems having minimal supporting documentation, then speak to performance capabilities/bottlenecks, break points requiring monitoring, and other issues.
• Strong, methodical troubleshooting skills.
• Very strong analytical skills. Candidate will frequently be required to analyze and predict performance capabilities of a given application system. Requires a great degree of resourcefulness for uncovering disparate performance data points and correlating them.
• Ability to maintain own workflow, prioritizes with respect to departmental or organizational priorities, and complete work with minimal supervision. Requires strong organizational habits and time management.
• Follows IT industry trends and developments. Will be leaned on for new ideas on process and product recommendations.
Education and/or Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related discipline AND
• 8+ years in a technical role involving applications operation and management, preferably in a 24-7-365 production environment.