Sr Software Engineer (Front End - JS/ExtJS)
AOL Advertising is revolutionizing the way online advertising works. We operate on the cutting edge of media, giving clients a diversity of means to reach the affluent, influential audiences that consume AOL content on a daily basis. AOL is uniquely positioned in the marketplace to work with brands to move their stories forward given our focus on original content, sophisticated distribution models and social marketing approaches. We are creating high impact experiences that engage consumers around preeminent content brands and powerful editorial approaches. We are taking a cross platform approach to programming that enables our experiences to move from one form to the next like our consumers do. Lastly, we are driving conversation inspired by content, driven in no small part by the Huffington Post, which is core to the DNA we have in the social content space.
We are THE global partner of choice for premium publishers, advertisers and agencies seeking to maximize the value of their online brands. How does the Group work together?
o ADTECH – manages and optimizes delivery of display, video, mobile, and rich media campaigns from a single ad management platform.
o Advertising.com – monetizes inventory and optimizes campaigns with the industry’s most advanced technology and premium ad network.
o Advertising.com Sponsored Listings (ASL) – completes text ad monetization services for publishers and advertisers.
o AOL Premium Formats – drives engaging experiences and captives audiences with premium formats.
o AOL Video – monetizes your video content and seamlessly integrates premium video content to partner sites.
Advertising is a results business and these results are easily defined thanks to premium platforms such as AdLearn – the technology at the heart of Advertising.com that processes up to ten billion transactions per day. No other advertising solutions produce the kind of results we attain.
This position is supporting the Advertising.com line of business.
The Software Engineer will be a member of the AOL Technology group in Baltimore. The AOL Technology organisation is responsible for and delivers key global products across a wide range of AOL business areas.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists in the implementation of enterprise software to stated business and technical goals:
- Create and/or maintain robust, scalable, operable software solutions
- Design and development of Web products; SOA based infrastructure; Reporting solutions; large scale, high volume, scalable infrastructural solutions
- Create and/or maintain appropriate design artifacts and documentation so as to enable broad team participation
- Help in effectively decomposing feature implementation into associated tasks for planning & tracking purposes as part of a delivery team
- Assist in assessing project risks associated with development activities
- Communicate effectively in both verbal (day-to-day discussions, team meetings) and written forms (requirements and design specifications) with local and remote team members
- Be flexible with regard to project assignments
- Look for areas of innovation in projects
- Perform various duties that advance the capabilities of the engineering team:
- Stay abreast of emerging technologies and trends, particularly as they apply to the online advertising industry, the internet and rapid software development
- Actively contribute with idea sharing, brainstorming sessions, etc. so as to contribute creatively – not just through execution
- Effectively manage multiple priorities
- Perform additional job-related duties as requested
- Demonstrated engineering skills associated with a Software Engineer role on software development projects
- Experience in the design and development of Web products; SOA based infrastructure; Reporting solutions; large scale, high volume, scalable infrastructural solutions
- Experience in assistance of executing a software implementation plan
- Sound understanding of Object Oriented Analysis & Design principles
- We will utilize some of these skills:
- Experience of building web services and infrastructural solutions using Java based frameworks
- Experience in using Hibernate, Spring, Jersey, JPA
- SQL experience across Oracle, MySQL
o Firm understanding of SOAP and REST web services
- Knowledge of cross-browser/cross-platform compatibility
- Demonstrated understanding of backend services and environments for developing web pages (Unix, Apache, Tomcat, FTP and server architecture)
- Experience with performance and optimization standards and performance tuning following industry techniques for front end applications and infrastructure
- Experience developing in a standards-based environment using version control software
- Understand and have used SOAP, REST, Entity Diagrams and produced UML diagrams as part of the Design process
- History of creativity, innovative thought, awareness of current technical trends and high levels of motivation
Education / Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or a related field
- At least 3 - 4 years of experience in software development