Editorial Intern, Science, HuffPost (New York)
The Huffington Post is seeking a motivated intern to join the HuffPost Science team. This full-time internship is an excellent opportunity for a science journalist--or a scientist with an interest in communicating scientific ideas to the public--to learn about new media platforms and gain experience at The Huffington Post.
• Loading content in to CMS
• News gathering on web
• Creating slideshows
• Maintaining editorial calendar
• Researching scientific literature
• Organizing and editing content
• Offering creative input
Requirements for Success:
• Previous journalism experience is required--you must be able to write quickly, accurately, and well, all while paying meticulous attention to detail and deadlines.
• Demonstrated interest in science is a must.
• Avid reader of scientific content, both scholastically (in periodicals, etc.) and in popular platforms (magazines, blogs, etc.)
• Detail-oriented, independent worker who excels at multitasking
• Creativity is key--you must think outside the box!
• Proficiency with Mac systems is required
• Experience in creating/writing blogs is strongly preferred
• Experience using a CMS is required (ex.- WordPress, Drupal, MoveableType, etc.)
• Familiarity with Photoshop preferred
• Experience with HTML preferred
• Working knowledge of social media outlets is required, including: twitter, tumblr, facebook, pinterest etc.
• Internet junkies are welcome--the more you love devouring online content, the better! We are looking for the type of candidate who can spot viral content--before it goes viral!
About HuffPost- The Huffington Post is a Pulitzer Prize-winning source of breaking news, features, and entertainment, as well as a highly engaged community for opinion and conversation. The Huffington Post has 36.9 million monthly unique visitors (comScore April, 2012) posting over 6.5 million comments each month. The site has over 30,000 bloggers -- from politicians,students and celebrities to academics, parents and policy experts -- who contribute in real-time on the subjects they are most passionate about. The Huffington Post has editions in the UK, Canada, Quebec, France, Spain, and Italy.
This internship is located in our New York, NY office, and is open to current undergraduate and graduate students, as well as recent (May 2012 or later) graduates. It is a full-time, paid role--40 hrs/week, $10.00/hr.