Sr Software Engineer
The Sr. Software Engineer will be part of the Research and Development office, the company's primary team for developing its cutting-edge optimization, scheduling, and analytics technology, which is branded as AdLearn. The engineer will fully leverage his/her skill set in the development, deployment and operations of technologies that are the engine of AOL Advertising’s revenue. Among the engineering challenges this position will face is the collection, transport, and utilization of very large data sets, which can be generated at a rate of 5+ TB a day, and the creation of analysis systems on algorithms developed by post-doctorate researchers. While the work environment in the Research and Development department is casual, the software engineer will be among the brightest minds of the company and will be pushed to the edge of his or her intellectual capabilities. This job is for someone who likes to proactively solve problems, would like to be challenged by unique coding assignments, is intrigued by advanced mathematics, and is capable of understanding how details impact the "big picture" and vice versa.
- Develop software in support of the project goals of the R&D team
- Gather requirements from stakeholders and perform critical analysis of the stated needs. Being an R&D office, the software engineer is a major contributor in figuring out what the solution should be. If you expect comprehensive requirements to be handed to you, this job is not for you!
- Design and develop C++, C#, Java, Python, or Perl code in order to accomplish the projects requirements. There is no “preferred language,” as we expect software engineers to be able to transcend language and use the best tools for their assigned projects.
- Develop and execute tests to validate developed software and ensure adherence to requirements. We are a test driven development team and generally follow the principles of XP.
- Provide technical support in the utilization of developed applications. The engineering team owns projects from cradle to grave. In such, you will be expected to support the applications that you write.
- Be able to work nimbly in a rapidly changing R&D environment, yet still be able to apply solid software engineering practices to all work done. An engineer may be developing prototypes under one project and production code under another. This requires the engineer to understand and apply the appropriate level of rigor and documentation for each project. Furthermore, we use Agile-based project management practices for all our projects.
- Be able to travel occasionally to other AOL offices in the U.S. (2 times/year at most)
- Other duties as needed
- Strong problem solving skills are a must! This is primarily a problem-solving job
- Experience with designing software that interacts with large data sets
- Experience in distributed computing a major plus
- Excellent C++, C# or Java programming skills required.
- Solid understanding of the concepts of object-oriented software design
- Skills and experience on Linux and Windows systems
- Database utilization skills, must be able to interact with databases via SQL
- Matlab development experience would be a big a plus b
- Excellent software testing and debugging skills
- Detail oriented personality traits and must be a self-starter
- Excellent English communications and people skills
- Preferred academic backgrounds are Computer Science, Mathematics, Systems Engineering, or Industrial Operations Engineering. Bachelor level education is required, Masters preferred
- Strong math background, especially in statistics, is a plus
- Self starter
Education / Experience:
- 4-8 year experience in software design and implementation
- B.S. in Computer Science or Software Engineering required, M.S. highly desired.
Do you want to make the Internet better? We do too. And we’re always looking for people with great ideas. We need free spirits and straight shooters. Creatives and critics. Nerds with nerve. People who love the Internet, but can see its cracks… and future, too. At AOL we’re focused on radically redefining the world of online communications. We are transforming how people around the globe connect with information, entertainment and one another by bringing together award winning journalists and innovative technologies to create rich and engaging consumer experiences. We look for people who are exceptionally imaginative, collaborative, and truly excited about our mission - to inform, entertain and connect the world.