Editorial Intern, Green, HuffPost (New York, NY)
The Huffington Post Green is seeking a hard-working, web-savvy intern to work for the winter. The HuffPost Green intern will be responsible for handling news production tasks, including creating photo slideshows and managing wires stories. Candidates should be quick learners, detail-oriented, energetic, efficient, good at self-directed follow through, excellent writers/copy editors and avid consumers of online media. What is absolutely required is serious dedication to detail, accurate writing ability, and attention to deadlines -- all while juggling multiple tasks at once.
This is a great opportunity to learn all the ins and outs of new media and get first-hand exposure to how The Huffington Post works.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Suggesting stories for aggregation
- Other general assignments working closely with HuffPost Green editors and reporters
- General administrative duties
- Searching for suitable photos to execute slideshows and other projects
- Reformatting pieces from partner sites to fit our system
- Researching, writing and copy editing short pieces of content
Requirements for Success:
- Very strong writing and editing skills
- Previous journalism experience is preferred- you must be able to write quickly, accurately, and well, all while having strong attention to detail and deadlines
- Internet junkies are welcome- the more you love devouring online content, the better. We are looking for the type of candidate who can spot viral content before it goes viral.
- Meticulous dedication to detail is key
- Experience using a CMS is preferred (ex.- WordPress, Drupal, MoveableType, etc.)
- Working knowledge of social media outlets is required, including: twitter, tumblr, facebook, pinterest, etc.
- Basic HTML experience preferred
This is full time, paid internship located in our New York, NY office- 40 hours/week at $10/hr. All applicants should be current students or recent graduates (Spring 2012 or later).
ABOUT THE HUFFINGTON POST
The Huffington Post is a Pulitzer Prize-winning source of breaking news, features, and entertainment, as well as a highly engaged community for opinion and conversation. The Huffington Post has 36.9 million monthly unique visitors (comScore April, 2012) posting over 6.5 million comments each month. The site has over 30,000 bloggers -- from politicians,students and celebrities to academics, parents and policy experts -- who contribute in real-time on the subjects they are most passionate about. The Huffington Post has editions in the UK, Canada, Quebec, France, and Spain, and Italy.