Editorial Intern, Comedy
HuffPost Comedy has an immediate opening for an internship in our New York Office. Our intern is considered a part of the editorial team -- no office duties or coffee-fetching; you will work side-by-side with us in the Huffington Post newsroom. Our intern can expect to be fully immersed in Web comedy and given a crash course on SEO and social media, and how they function within a modern journalistic environment. While our intern's main duties are research-based, he/she is more than welcome to pitch and create content (although this is not required or expected).
This is great opportunity to learn all the ins and outs of new media and get first-hand exposure to how The Huffington Post works. The position would mostly revolve around research, and the intern would have an opportunity to pitch article ideas and create content.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Researching content
- Pitching and writing original story ideas
- Suggesting stories for aggregation
- Other general assignments working closely with HuffPost Comedy editors and reporters
- General administrative duties
- Searching for suitable photos to execute slideshows and other projects
- Reformatting pieces from partner sites to fit our system
Requirements for Success:
- Strong comedy sensibilities
- Familiarity with "web culture" -- i.e., always on the lookout for memes, trends, viral videos, breaking stories, etc
- Very strong writing and editing skills
- Background in comedy a plus
- Follows media and cycles
- Previous journalism experience is required- you must be able to write quickly, accurately, and well, all while having strong attention to detail and deadlines
- Creativity is key- you must think outside the box!
- Internet junkies are welcome- the more you love devouring online content, the better! We are looking for the type of candidate who can spot viral content- before it goes viral!
- Meticulous dedication to detail is key
- Experience using a CMS is required (ex.- WordPress, Drupal, MoveableType, etc.)
- Familiarity with Photoshop/InDesign preferred
- Working knowledge of social media outlets is required, including: twitter, tumblr, facebook, pinterest, etc.
- Experience in creating/writing blogs is strongly preferred
- Basic HTML experience preferred
This is full time, paid internship located in our New York, NY office- 40 hours/week at $10/hr.
ABOUT THE HUFFINGTON POST
The Huffington Post is a Pulitzer Prize-winning source of breaking news, features, and entertainment, as well as a highly engaged community for opinion and conversation. The Huffington Post has 36.9 million monthly unique visitors (comScore April, 2012) posting over 6.5 million comments each month. The site has over 30,000 bloggers -- from politicians,students and celebrities to academics, parents and policy experts -- who contribute in real-time on the subjects they are most passionate about. The Huffington Post has editions in the UK, Canada, Quebec, France, and Spain, and Italy