Assistant Editor - Fine Gardening
We seek an enthusiastic assistant editor to join the staff of FINE GARDENING, a bi-monthly magazine dedicated to hands-on gardening. Editing and writing skills, basic photography skills, and strong organizational skills are all assets. A passion for gardening is essential and any training in the field would be useful. Frequent travel is required during the growing season to find authors and to photograph articles.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Edits raw manuscript to produce lively, readable, and informative magazine articles. Begins to contact new authors, works with them to develop and outline article ideas, and oversees story development (text and visuals). Working with editor and art director, develops art and/or photo plans to illustrate articles. May shoot photos or oversee photo shoots. Reviews layouts, tight edits to fit copy, reads pagemakes for accuracy.
- On assignment from editor, researches and writes articles for magazine and our web site.
- Produces at least one department for magazine.
- Assists in evaluating proposals for articles from prospective authors.
- Develops ability to take publishable photographs.
- Travels to visit authors in order to develop new stories, oversee photo shoots and collect information and contacts for articles.
- At editor's request, answers mail from readers.
- Must exhibit strong language and writing skills, and the ability to develop solid editing and photographic skills.
- Knowledge of or interest in gardening required.
- Experience in print and web publishing desirable.
SkillsSee Job DescriptionPlease click here to apply