Web Editor, Veranda (1666)
Veranda is seeking a web editor to help manage the site on a daily basis, with a joint focus on editorial content creation and production support. The web editor is responsible for organizing, developing, and creating content and programming the Veranda website to ensure alignment with brand objectives, usage and engagement growth, content integrity, style and voice of site. In this position, the web editor will work with the digital programming team to organize, develop, edit and manage the publication and maintenance of content for the site.
The web editor will identify editorial opportunities, as well as propose and participate in creation of new products and programming initiatives. The Editor will work with other web editor(s) and writer(s) on the team to ensure completion of all assigned work and the quality of those executions. These executions will include everything from expanded syndication and packaging efforts to development of original approaches and archival concepts. Emphasis will be placed on efforts providing timely content that grows overall site usage, pageviews and visits.
The web editor’s daily duties may include the following:
- Story idea development for original programming, custom-content creation, and in-book tie-ins.
- Create and maintain publishing schedule.
- Organize, edit, create, copyedit and manage the posting of content to the site.
- Manage all social media.
- Ensure all deadlines are met for the site, especially when related to timely and current coverage as well as content associated with special packages and sponsored site components and sections.
- Keep the site current, ensuring prompt elimination of any technical or content errors, or content that is out of date or no longer functional.
- Assist when needed to identify, recruit and manage freelance contributors.
- Partner with the photo and video editors to obtain additional photos, video and other content when appropriate to the coverage and packaging of content.
- Develop, plan and deliver impactful and topical homepage content, including polls, special packages, etc., that engage visitors and boost traffic.
10. Manage relationships with magazine staff to create unique opportunities for programming and interaction between the web and the other media.
11. Attend regularly scheduled meetings for all print and web teams as required.
12. Coordinate syndication content and related links for syndication partners and email products. Ensure assigned sites review and update syndication content or linked email content as needed.
13. Work with Hearst Digital Media teams to develop, create and implement new concepts for site designs and new product initiatives.
Candidates should have at least 3-5 years of experience as an editor, writer, or blogger. Must be familiar using a CMS, and understand the basics of Photoshop, SEO, and HTML. Candidate should also be well-versed in social media, have solid writing and editing skills with knowledge of AP style. Video editing is a plus.