Director of Community, HuffPost (New York)
The Huffington Post is a Pulitzer Prize-winning source of breaking news, features, and entertainment, as well as a highly engaged community for opinion and conversation. The Huffington Post has 36.9 million monthly unique visitors (comScore April, 2012) posting over 6.5 million comments each month. The site has over 30,000 bloggers -- from politicians, students and celebrities to academics, parents and policy experts -- who contribute in real-time on the subjects they are most passionate about. The Huffington Post has editions in the UK, Canada, Quebec, France, and Spain, with L’Huffington Post Italia scheduled to launch this year.About HuffPost Community team:
The Community team manages over 70 vertical communities in 5 languages, using some of the best tech in the industry, which is always improving. The Huffington Post is unique in its investment in building a quality community experience at scale and the Director of Community is at the helm.
About the Role: Director of Community
The Huffington Post is seeking a new Director of Community to provide strategic leadership and hands-on management of our growing Community team. The Huffington Post hosts the largest actively managed community on the internet, and it’s growing fast—from approximately 5 million pre-moderated comments per month one year ago, to almost 10 million today.
This is an amazing job for a true community builder with experience managing teams, both in-house and remote, and who loves being involved in the product development life-cycle.
The primary role of the Director of Community is to set high level vision and strategy for the Community team, sell that vision to executives and co-workers, and to deal with specific and ad-hoc projects as an advisor or consultant to internal groups. The Director of Community oversees
• Comment moderation team: in-house and remote moderators responsible for pre-moderating comments to the site.
• Community Standards team: remote team tasked with monitoring performance and allocation of the moderation team and spot-checking the site.
• Community Editorial team: in-house team responsible for pitching UGC campaigns and working with editors to manage them.
• User support: remote and in-house team focused on user experience and technical support for the user community.
• Internationational and HP Live: small teams tasked with growing nascent communities in Europe and our live streaming community.
• Have a long history of community management both online and/or offline
• Understand communities and their dynamics inside out and backwards
• Can manage diverse teams that are both in-office and remote
• Can sell a cohesive vision to executives and co-workers for why community is important
• Are comfortable with data and have basic technical knowledge
• Have a track record of community growth, revenue-generation, and selling big ideas internally
• Have a demonstrated track record of working with product teams to build processes and experiences that grow community and build a great user experience