Project/Research Manager (Consumer Insights)
Original posting: http://latd.com/jobs/projectresearch-manager-consumer-insights/
Latitude, a forward-thinking research firm located outside of Boston, is searching for a project leader with proven leadership skills, research expertise, and strong organizational skills to fill the role of Project/Research Manager. (Title, responsibilities, and pay commensurate with experience.)
The successful candidate will join our team and will work on custom projects for visionary organizations and some of the top names in technology, online, print, television, and non-traditional media. He/she will also be involved in proposal development and client management. He/she will report directly to the EVP/Managing Director, serve as a partner to 4-5 analysts, and regularly interface with clients and vendors.
This position offers many opportunities for growth and professional development, as well as exposure to/involvement with other company initiatives, and is ideal for a candidate who is hoping to build his/her resume in a vibrant, cutting-edge company with an impressive client list and an expanding portfolio of subject expertise.
The Project Manager will be responsible for the following main priorities:
- Research operations/management: managing project timelines and work flows; identifying and managing external vendors and freelancers; tracking project details; continuously identifying areas of process improvement and putting new ideas into action quickly. Serving as a liaison between analyst team and EVP to improve efficiencies and reduce costs.
- Study concept creation: Developing thoughtful proposals in response to RFPs, as well as pro-actively generating and communicating concepts for potential Latitude “Thought Leader” studies which highlight expansive thinking and innovative study design. Collaborating with analysts and marketing team to generate new ideas that will meet client needs.
- Internal consulting: Serving as an “internal consultant” to analysts on best traditional and new research and data management practices; providing guidance on creation of study design, surveys, qualitative and quantitative methods and analysis approaches.
- Client management: Considering client needs; managing/meeting client expectations throughout the course of projects – from scoping of initial project needs through final execution/delivery of reports and insights.
- Research "storytelling": Interpreting research data and insights and working closely with analysts to craft them into compelling and useful stories to meet and exceed client objectives.
- Working closely with Latitude’s team of talented analysts in the day-to-day implementation of our research projects (proposals, study design, questionnaire development, fielding, data analysis, reporting, and presenting), ensuring that clients always receive high quality deliverables on or before their deadlines.
- Serving as an “internal consultant” to analysts on best traditional and new research and data management practices as they think strategically about client needs and the analysis and communication of data to meet those needs.
- Architecting and overseeing internal information systems and project management software use
- Identifying, vetting, and managing potential vendors and freelancers
- Providing regular financial tracking of projects / operational metrics to EVP
Research Methods, Technique Development & Innovation
- Collaborating with analyst team to review surveys, study designs, and ensure that key client objectives are being met throughout the course of the project
- Helping Latitude develop and deploy innovative research techniques and technologies that allow us to “find answers to big questions in unexpected places” (i.e. employing reality mining of the semantic web and web traffic data, using social media as a collaborative and generative online tool, etc.)
- Develop study designs, deliverables, and client relationships that embrace the company’s goal of becoming an emerging thought leader while (modestly but clearly) redefining traditional conceptions of a research firm
- Working in cooperation with EVP to keep an eye on “competitive space” and identify new opportunities to deliver value to current/potential clients via new offerings/services
- Developing thoughtful proposals in response to RFPs, as well as pro-actively generating and communicating concepts for potential Latitude “Thought Leader” studies
- Identifying best research methods to approach key client objectives/problems
- Considering the unique needs of each of Latitude’s clients; scoping project objectives and managing client expectations throughout the course of projects; ensuring studies are designed/implemented/presented to provide clients with insightful answers to their tactical and strategic questions
- Managing client project information flow, invoicing, and scheduling; gathering client feedback on analysis and reporting and initiating client follow-up post project
- Writing high level reports and delivering key findings / insights in reports and on client calls
The ideal candidate has:
Strong Research & Technical Expertise:
- A robust research background with experience in a full range of quantitative and qualitative methodologies
- Knowledge of, and interest in, both traditional (survey, focus groups, etc.) and emerging research areas such as mobile capture, social information data, and generative research
- Strength in survey writing, data management, analysis and reporting
- Background in applied statistics, econometrics, or psychometrics (etc.)
- Background in consumer insights/market research
Project Management Skills:
- Proven leadership and collaboration skills in project management (with expertise in using one or more project management software tools)
- Proven ability to plan and execute high-quality projects under deadlines (strong attention to detail, highly organized, and efficient)
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail/accuracy are a must
Business Acumen, Client Service, & Consulting Capabilities:
- Experience or strong interest in working with media, advertising, entertainment, and technology firms/clients is preferred; A strong understanding of media/technology industry trends
- Proven ability to think strategically for client benefit - as relates both to addressing tactical business questions and providing high-level, thought leader direction
- Proven ability to manage large scale consulting and/or research projects and frame/communicate/deliver high-level findings effectively
- Strong ability to think both strategically and analytically, creatively solve problems, and to “tell the story” from research findings/data
- Strong writing and presentation skills required
- Significant experience at a market research firm, consulting firm, ad agency, TV network, or technology company, preferred
- Relevant graduate degree in business or social sciences
- College degree and between 5-7 years of research experience in the social sciences, education, communications, media and/or technology
Please send cover letter, resume, and one example of work that you are proud of and enjoyed doing (e.g. research paper, project, presentation, etc.) to email@example.com, and include job title (“Project/Research Manager”) in the subject line. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.