Senior (Acquisitions) Editor, Applied Sciences
Springer Science+Business Media is one of the most prestigious international scientific publishers of books, journals, and electronic media today, with subsidiaries and representatives all over the world. Our publications range from medicine to all fields of life sciences, and from mathematics to engineering. Wherever scientific research is carried out, highly qualified experts count themselves among Springer's authors, including a large number of Nobel prize winners. More than 7,000 people are employed by the Springer Group worldwide.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours
The Senior (Acquisitions) Editor, Applied Sciences is responsible for increasing company profitability via acquisitions that are consistent with the company's reputation as a high quality, high level publisher. Involves extensive author contact, proposal review, contract negotiation, preparation of manuscripts for production, promotional planning and monitoring of sales, budget and financial planning, long range planning for growth and development of the program and management of editorial support staff. Specific responsibilities include:
- Pursues an active and efficient acquisitions policy through correspondence, required meetings/trips, telephone, consultations with advisors, etc. Approximately 20% to 50% travel as well as strong initiative and independent functioning
- Prepares and executes publishing contracts in regard to US product
- Maintains and develops a circle of reviewers and advisors and evaluates their judgments
- Maintains continuous cooperation and dialogues with marketing, promotion and production concerning individual projects as well as general questions of mutual interest
- Maintains communication with US and European editorial counterparts about specific immediate questions as well as long term strategy questions. Works with various branches in coordination of the international program
- Supervises final editorial preparation of manuscripts for production
- Discusses, assumes and proposes financial and budgetary plans for program. Ensures that financial reports, status reports, budget forecasts, etc, can be made on the basis of readily available material
- Develops guidelines, plans, reporting systems, etc., to implement publishing plans. Maintains current status of all projects in the program via reporting system
- Reviews and discusses new projects and plans with editorial colleagues particularly in overlapping areas
- Monitors staffing requirements and trains and develops staff
- Performs related duties as required
College degree with advanced degree in the specific subject area. Experience as an editor or related editorial/publishing experience highly desirable. Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills required. Must be willing and able to travel.
Please apply using our online application system.
Visit our web site at www.springer.com.
We regret that we are unable to respond to each resume. Only those individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
Springer Science+Business Media, LLC is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.