About our company
Springer Science+Business Media is one of the most prestigious international scientific publishers of books, journals, and electronic media today, with subsidiaries and representatives all over the world. Our publications range from medicine to all fields of life sciences, and from mathematics to engineering. Wherever scientific research is carried out, highly qualified experts count themselves among Springer's authors, including a large number of Nobel prize winners. More than 7,000 people are employed by the Springer Group worldwide.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours Your tasks
The Editorial Assistant
must prioritize and schedule the work assignments of the Acquisitions Editor. Must be able to analyze incoming calls/e-mail and provide any necessary feedback and troubleshoot any problems that may arise in the Editor's absence. Other responsibilities include: corresponding with authors/editors, preparing book and journal proposals and contracts, maintaining paper and electronic files, managing all accepted journal articles/issue for timely publication and updating future publication plans accordingly; prepare journal and book manuscripts for production; prepare reports on editorial activities as required; and assist the acquisition/publishing editor in organizing and managing the editorial program. May be requested to attend conference exhibits and perform other duties as assigned.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Preparation of incoming manuscripts for production and publication e.g., photocopying of manuscripts and labeling/organization book files, thorough scrutiny of manuscripts for internal consistency and completeness (as well as supplying camera-ready front matter material for each manuscript, including Table of Contents and Index when needed), completion of all internal forms to be circulated with manuscripts
- Logging of outstanding permissions and solicitation of permissions from the appropriate publishers/outside authors and/or interaction with Springer authors/editors to assist in the securing of permissions
- Soliciting peer reviews for prospects and signed projects as needed or as directed by Editor
- Preparing contract folders, arranging royalty payments for Series Editors, supporting monitoring and processing of reprints
- Under supervision of Editor, fulfilling Author/Editor needs, preparing a "before, during and after" relationship with the author
- Generating back cover copy and book marketing plans for Editor's review and approval (in close cooperation with Editor and product management)
- Acting as liaison between Authors, production department and promotion departments after manuscripts have been submitted to production
- Maintenance of projects database for proposals, upcoming and published books
- Use Microsoft Office software, including Excel, Word and Outlook, plus additional database software, including internal systems: BFlow, JEM, etc.
- Handle non-strategic issues to maintain scholarly journals: office point of contact when Editor is traveling, prepare new editorial agreements for Editors, update JEM, request checks, maintain addresses Editorial Boards, etc.
- Schedule journal issues and analyze/prepare future scheduling
- Bachelor's degree
- Minimum 2 years' experience preferred in either science publishing or journal publishing
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Thorough knowledge of office procedures including efficient filing
- Solid spelling and grammatical skills
- Good inter-personal skills
- Ability to follow directions, work accurately, learn quickly, and exhibit strong organizational and analytical skills
- Must be flexible and able to prioritize, organize and coordinate work assignments and to determine the most efficient way to accomplish each task
- Must be able to act diplomatically in representing Springer
- Strong computer skills required in MS Word, and Excel; database and other software capabilities is a must
- Must be able to work closely with other assistants
- Good internet-based research skills preferred
Please apply using our online application system.
Visit our web site at www.springer.com.
We regret that we are unable to respond to each resume. Only those individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
Springer Science+Business Media, LLC is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.