Associate Editor/Senior Reporter - Defense One
Atlantic Media seeks an experienced, digital-savvy editor and reporter to play a key role in Defense One, our new digital-first media brand set to launch this summer at www.defenseone.com. Defense One will deliver high-level news and analysis focused on the future of national security and new ideas for defense leaders and stakeholders navigating the transformation of U.S. defense strategy and operations. Responsibilities Include:
- Report and write analytical pieces of various lengths on national defense with a distinctive voice that goes beyond the news
- Edit copy produced internally and externally on tight deadlines
- Help manage daily flow of content to site, assigning stories to be reported, curated and analyzed
- Help manage a team of external content contributors
- Participate in developing content for and moderating defense-related events
- 5+ years of professional journalistic experience as an editor and/or writer, preferably covering defense, national security, politics or related beats
- Strong writing and editing skills, high attention to detail, from short items to long-form narratives
- Demonstrated ability to develop sources and contacts in the national security arena
- Digital reporting, publishing and social media experience
- Passion for national security and defense topics
- Positive, good-natured, energetic attitude
- Force of Ideas - At the center of Atlantic Media work are the ideas within our writing. We believe that ideas – to the good and not – have consequence. Our highest work is bringing rigor, insight, intellectual honesty, to that ultimate purpose of separating the bad from the good, giving voice, argument, and flight to the latter.
- Spirit of Generosity - Atlantic Media seeks in its ranks a spirit of generosity – a natural disposition in each colleague toward service and selfless conduct. Atlantic Media writing should be cut from the same cloth – critical on the merits but informed by charity and forbearance in measuring motive and personal character.