Associate (Acquisitions) Editor, Biomedicine
Springer Science+Business Media is one of the most prestigious international scientific publishers of books, journals, and electronic media today, with subsidiaries and representatives all over the world. Our publications range from medicine to all fields of life sciences, and from mathematics to engineering. Wherever scientific research is carried out, highly qualified experts count themselves among Springer's authors, including a large number of Nobel prize winners. More than 7,000 people are employed by the Springer Group worldwide.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours
Under supervision of editorial management, researches, acquires, and publishes book projects within selected disciplines. Supports editors in the following functions: market/competitive research; soliciting and evaluating reviews of book proposals; evaluation of submitted manuscripts; transmitting manuscripts into production; administrative support for book publishing program. Specific responsibilities include:
- Acquisitions activities:Within discipline or disciplines assigned by editorial management, pursues an active and efficient acquisitions policy through correspondence, meetings/editorial travel, consulting advisors, etc.Prepares contract folders to satisfaction of top management; presents own and other editors' titles at Editorial Conference.
- Within the discipline(s) assigned, responsible for defining, maintaining, and furthering the company's accepted goals in terms of program growth and development.
- Meets goals set by editorial management for contracts signed, manuscripts transmitted to production, and titles published each year. Interacts within the company with other acquisitions editors, production department, product managers, sales department, counterparts in Springer offices abroad, etc.
- Monitors other departments' activities on behalf of the Associate Editor's projects, and coordinates the Associate Editor's program (where possible) with corresponding programs in other Springer locations.
- In support of Editors, has the following responsibilities on selected projects:
- Works with contracted authors and contributors to explain technical aspects of manuscript preparation; monitors schedule and technical quality of submitted manuscripts and art; resolves problems related to making material suitable for production; and transmits manuscripts to production.
- Conducts market and competitive research in support of and at the direction of editorial management.
- May supervise editorial support staff in manuscript preparation and general office routines.
- Performs related duties as required.
Minimum of 4 years Editorial experience for an academic publisher, STM publishing preferred
At least 1 year of Author/Book Acquisitions experience required
Bachelor's degree or equivalent required
Must be well-organized and attentive-to-detail
Hands-on-knowledge of personal computers strongly preferred
Please apply using our online application system.
Visit our web site at www.springer.com.
Be sure to follow and "Like" us on social media!
Facebook: Springer Jobs US
We regret that we are unable to respond to each resume. Only those individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
Springer Science+Business Media, LLC is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.