Beauty Editor, Elle
In this role, the beauty editor will handle day-to-day programming operations and work closely with the photo, design and other teams to help plan, define, schedule, and create content.
These tasks also may include assigning stories to writers, developing editorial properties and programming equities with other Web editors and the Web Director, editing, copy editing, production and other tasks. The beauty editor will write and edit stories and produce them in the CMS, as well as promote them on blogs and social networks. In this role, the beauty editor will plan and post the site’s programming in a manner that maintains the site’s timeliness and content scope. The beauty editor will maintain the integrity of the content and functionality of the site, ensuring programming on the site meets all internal and external goals, standards and schedules.
The beauty editor also may serve as a spokesperson for the brand at events and for media opportunities.
The beauty editor’s daily duties may include the following:
- Organize, edit, copy edit and manage the posting of Web content to the assigned areas of the site.
- Ensure all deadlines are met for the assigned areas of the site, especially when related to time-sensitive content.
- Write and edit promotional blurbs to promote content and follow up with other Web editors to ensure content is posted as planned.
- Update content to keep the site current, ensuring prompt elimination of any technical or content errors, or content that is out of date.
- Check, edit and post archive content to ensure a steady stream of fresh material and to ensure all schedules are met for delivery and maintenance.
- Partner with the photo and video editors and other site editors to obtain additional photos, video and other content when appropriate to the coverage and packaging of that content.
- Develop, plan and deliver high-impact content that engages visitors and boosts traffic.
- Attend regularly scheduled meetings for all Web teams as required.
- Select syndication content and related links for all syndication partners and all email products. Ensure any syndication content or linked email content is updated as needed.
- Repackage content as needed for seasonal special sections, for syndication and in other cases as needed to support sponsorship and partner opportunities.
- Write, edit and post original blog items, and edit and post blogs and stories from editors and contributors
- Work with all Digital Media teams to develop, create and implement new concepts for site designs and new product initiatives.
- The ideal candidate in this position has a minimum of 5 years experience in content programming for the Web and strong relationships with a network of freelance writers, stylists and industry experts. The candidate must have significant or expert level knowledge of beauty topics, as well as a broad knowledge of topical interests in women’s magazines.
- Exceptional writing/editing, communication and research skills are essential, as are self-motivation and the ability to meet tight deadlines. Basic knowledge of common Web production technologies is a must, including html basics, SEO, social programming and networks and Photoshop. Direct experience with Web content management systems is a plus.