Radio Producer, This American Life
Our staff producers create the stories on the show. Some they commission; some they report in the field with freelancers or the showâ€™s host; some they write themselves. These stories include personal stories told by ordinary people, as well as reporting that takes on bigger issues, using surprising characters and scenes. Producers oversee tape gathering, edit the audio and structure their own stories. They work with comedians, performers and fiction writers to structure and edit their work for radio. They direct talent in the studio and do the final digital audio mixes that end up on the air, including scoring the pieces with music. They take on occasional special projects: interactive web features, videos, print pieces, live performances. They generate ideas for stories and for full episodes. They design and produce entire episodes. An important part of the job is listening to drafts of other producersâ€™ stories and giving notes; this is a very collaborative office.Weâ€™re looking for an experienced and inventive radio producer who has done narrative journalism, who works well both independently and collaboratively. Qualifications:
- We will only consider candidates who have demonstrated experience doing journalism like the stories on our show. This means narrative journalism, stories that unfold with a plot and emotion and humor, with relatable, surprising, three-dimensional characters.
- At least three to five years producing radio, preferably for a nationally-distributed show. Weâ€™ll consider comparable film or TV documentary experience only if it involves crafting stories in a style similar to those on our show.
- Digital audio editing and mixing skills are essential.
- Ability to think about big picture approaches to covering issues and ideas, while also executing the many small details and tasks involved in producing a weekly show.
- A proven ability to meet deadlines and balance multiple duties at the same time.
- Knowledge of public radio and podcasts is a plus.
This position is based at the This American Life office in New York City.
Please include online links to your work (YouTube, Soundcloud, or other portfolio sites, etc) in your cover letterNo Phone Calls.