Director, Multicultural Communications
Director, Multicultural Communications
Job ID: HC20131012-62581
The College Board, a national educational organization, is conducting a search for a Director, Multicultural Communications for the New York, New York headquarter office.
The Director, Multicultural Communications will develop and execute strategies to effectively communicate information about the College Board’s programs and services to culturally diverse audiences throughout the United States, with the ultimate goal of advancing our mission of expanding access to opportunity for students. The Director will place a particular emphasis on reaching audiences traditionally underrepresented in higher education including the African American, American Indian, and Hispanic/Latino communities. This position will report to the Senior Director, External Communications.
ABOUT THE COLLEGE BOARD
The College Board believes that an investment in education is an investment in the future. From our earliest days, we have devoted ourselves to educational opportunity and achievement. We have championed innovation, equity and excellence for generations of students. We are advocates for children and parents; we empower teachers and educators; and we are a strong presence in thousands of schools and communities across the country.
- Responsible for creating a robust multicultural communications plan that will be integrated into the overall external communications efforts and aligns with organizational strategy, goals and priorities.
- Works with members of the communications team to identify and prepare appropriate internal spokespeople for multicultural media opportunities, including Spanish-language interviews.
- Serves as an on-the-record spokesperson for the College Board with Spanish-language and other media outlets.
- Proactively seeks opportunities for the College Board to be positioned as a leading voice in news stories about access to opportunity for all students, college and career readiness, and college planning.
- Manage multicultural media outreach efforts and contribute to the planning and execution of high-profile College Board media events.
- Provide ongoing media training and message training for bi-lingual College Board executives and other subject matter experts.
- Advises senior department management on communications and public relations issues relevant to diverse communities.
- Perform any other duties or tasks as assigned or required.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, communications, or related field is required.
- Minimum 5-7 years of directly-related, progressively responsible work experience in public relations, media relations and/or communications.
Related Skills & Other Requirements:
- Fluent in Spanish (professional and conversational)
- Must have previous experience as an on-air Spanish-language spokesperson
- Proficient writer (English and Spanish)
- Must have a record of successfully booking executives on broadcast media outlets
- Proven record of developing and maintaining relationships with contacts at multicultural media outlets
- Able to juggle multiple demands, manage shifting priorities and meet deadlines
- Demonstrated professional tact and ability to build relationships with internal stakeholders
- Proven ability to navigate complex organizational culture
- Familiarity with education market (K-12 and/or Higher Ed)
- Professional experience in a K-12 or Higher Ed setting a plus
- Positive and flexible attitude
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement plan, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required.
The College Board’s mission is to connect students to college success and opportunity. We are a not-for-profit membership organization committed to excellence and equity in education. Among our best-known products are the SAT®, PSAT/NMSQT®, and Advanced Placement Program®.
Please apply by visiting our Careers page at www.collegeboard.org/careers and submitting your resume and cover letter.
Desired Travel 25% - 50%
Areas of Expertise Advocacy, Media Relations, Communications
Highest Level of Education Bachelor's Degree
Job Type Full Time
Location New York, NY
Years of Relevant Experience 6-9
PI70140916 Apply Here: http://www.Click2apply.net/gk363yr